Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp 2000-2b43bx
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

No working usb ports or sound

hangs up on restart

was upgraded to Windows 10

system restore to Windows 8

made the 5 disc recovery set which indicated it formatted before install of Windows 8

no working usb  ports or sound

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@N7741, It's great to hear from you again.

Thanks for your quick response.

As you mentioned even after completing the system recovery on your PC the issue still persists.

It certainly looks to be a hardware issue with your PC, please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi! @N7741, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that USB ports on your PC are not functioning correctly.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you tried checking with different USB devices?

Please try few steps recommended below.

1. Open Device Manager.
2. Expand category “Universal Serial Bus controllers”.
3. Double-click the “USB Root Hub” device, and click the Power Management tab. (if there’s more than one USB Root Hub device, repeat these steps for each one.)
4. Turn off the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option, and click  OK button.

Disconnect all USB devices connected to the computer except a USB mouse and keyboard (if in use). This includes hubs, thumb drives, printers, and cameras.
In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
The Device Manager window opens.
Double-click Universal Serial Bus Controllers to expand the list.
Right-click the first USB Root Hub in the list, then select Uninstall.
Click OK to confirm.
Continue uninstalling all USB Root Hubs listed.
Close Device Manager and restart the computer.
If the USB device that is having problems came with software and it was not previously installed, install the software now, following the manufacturer instructions.
Reconnect the USB device that was having problems and test it to see if it works.

Open Device Manager (Right Click on Windows Logo and Click Device Manager).
Now find and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers. Now right click on USB drivers and click Uninstall. Do for all USB drivers one by one.
Now Restart your PC. The USB drivers are automatically re-install and solve the corrupted USB devices.
Right-click on the battery icon and click Power Options.
Click Change plan settings.
Now click Change advanced power settings.
Find and expand USB settings.
Expand USB selective suspend settings and Disable both On battery and Plugged in settings.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot USB connection issues with your PC.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

If you try to use restart it sits there with a dim screen until you shut down completely and use start button

a complete restore was done several times saving nothing no hardware loaded no software other than Windows 8

usb ports will not recognize a mouse or a flash drive or anything  red light under mouse lights up, tried others

in device manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers  standard enhanced PCI to USB host controller code 10 

and standard openHCD USB host controller code 10

hold ESC on start and than f2 if USB is suppose to be in the list  it is not

no unknown devices in device manager

uninstalled the USB items

After shutdown and startup no USB items show up in device manager

HP Recommended

Hi!, @N7741, It's great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned you are getting error USB host controller code 10 on your PC.

Please try few steps recommended below.

1) Hold Windows key + R key to the open Run box.

2) Type devmgmt.msc in the box and hit Enter to open Device Manager.

3) Find and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers dialog.
Then right-click on USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller and choose Uninstall.

4) Click OK when asked to confirm the uninstall.
5) Restart your PC, the drivers should update automatically from windows update.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps, It is certainly a hardware issue with the USB ports on your PC.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

For Mr Robot

post from n7741 that account quit working

only way to get USB to show in device manager after uninstall drivers is to scan  for hardware changes under action tab in device manager they than show with code 10 issues

if this laptop freezes on all restarts has no sound or working USB is the motherboard bad

no list was in device manager for USBXHCI Compliant host controller

HP Recommended

@N77411, It's great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

As a last resort, I would suggest you perform a complete system recovery and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about performing a system recovery on your PC.

Take Care! 

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Complete restore already completed

removing files and everything else

no change

HP Recommended

@N7741, It's great to hear from you again.

Thanks for your quick response.

As you mentioned even after completing the system recovery on your PC the issue still persists.

It certainly looks to be a hardware issue with your PC, please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.