Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv9000
Microsoft Windows XP

My hp dv9000 is in like new condition and uses O/S Windows Xp...my dv2500 also in like new condition, uses Windows Vista home premium...both are not supported now. Help... how can I update the OS on both?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Belikin 

The realistic answer is -- you probably can't.

First, updating implies that the accounts, settings, personal data, and apps are carried over to the OS.  In your case, NONE of these will get carried over.  So basically, both installs will overwrite everything.  So, neither is an update; both are new installs.

Second, Windows 10 will not have drivers for XP-era hardware so it probably will not even install on that PC.  While it might have drivers for Vista-era hardware, more likely, it will not have those, either.'

Unless others here have updated either PC and discovered how to get working Win10 drivers for them, the reality of the situation is that both PCs are way to old to be updated now.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.