Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion G6
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Recovering Pavilion G6 using the 6 DVDs that were generated when the machine was first put into service. Attempting the "minimal installation" option of Windows 8 recovery.

At the stage "software installation/software is being installed", the lower progress bar (presumably some application or software element being installed) stays at the same position (about 2/3 of the way across), while the upper progress bar (presumably stage of the current element's installation) repeatedly progresses from start to finish. It has been in this state for at least an hour.

Machine has 8 GB RAM and a 160 GB SSD which has no other OS or data on it. The machine has worked normally through it's life; just preparing now to convert to Windows 10 via upgrade (this was done when Windows 10 was first introduced, but that was backed out at that point, so there should be an upgrade possible.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I can't help you with why the recovery disks aren't working.  

Sometimes they just don't and there isn't any resolution.

If you had previously upgraded the PC to W10 you can go directly to clean installing W10 by making a bootable USB installation flash drive using the Media creation tool at the link below, with another Windows PC, since your g6 isn't working.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

I can't help you with why the recovery disks aren't working.  

Sometimes they just don't and there isn't any resolution.

If you had previously upgraded the PC to W10 you can go directly to clean installing W10 by making a bootable USB installation flash drive using the Media creation tool at the link below, with another Windows PC, since your g6 isn't working.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

HP Recommended

Thanks, Paul - I wasn't aware I could proceed down that path w/o the key - much appreciated.

Dave

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Dave.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.