Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavilion 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have an issue with a laptop: when I turn it on I only get a HP screen saying it's trying to repair the problem, and it never goes further.
I tried the onboard Diagnostic and the short and long DST failed returning this error code: 64HJTK-7B78NV-MFPV7F-60QB03
and product id: K1J94EA#ABF
All the other components tested fine.

Detailed informations about the machine:
Pavilion 17 System Id: 2287
core i5-4210U ; 8GB ram ; Bios F.12

The laptop is not under warranty anymore.

Can I repair it without having to format the drive, and if not can I extract the data I have on the drive if I put it in a external hard drive box ?
Is the hard drive dead or is it salvageable ?

Thanks !
Fred

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
The hard drive has failed/is failing and will need to be replaced. A retail 2.5" laptop SATA hard drive can be used-Western Digital,Seagate,Toshiba,etc
Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use HP Recovery Media to install Windows. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

You may be able to put it in an external and get some info- but chances are not good. Failing both short and long tests is not a good sign.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended
The hard drive has failed/is failing and will need to be replaced. A retail 2.5" laptop SATA hard drive can be used-Western Digital,Seagate,Toshiba,etc
Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use HP Recovery Media to install Windows. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

You may be able to put it in an external and get some info- but chances are not good. Failing both short and long tests is not a good sign.

HP Recommended

If needed your Maintenance Manual is here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04427554

HP Recommended

Thanks for the fast answer !
I will try to get the info back and will change the drive then.

Thanks Again !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.