Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-e092ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently received an advice note on HP Assistant about creating a password reset disk.

This advice works perfectly on my HPE-480uk Desktop running Windows 7 but does not appear to work on my Pavillion 15-e092ea laptop which has just been upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

The Create a password reset disk function does not appear in User Accounts. Is it not necessary with Windows 10 or are different instructions needed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

EKGHelP

The only way that it "protects" you (in MS terms ...) is that, if your forget the password, you can login to your MS account from another PC and reset it.  That's why you don't need a password reset disk.

I quit using that login approach because I did not like my email address displayed on the login screen for all to see.  That's OK on my desktop at home, but it was NOT OK on my laptop when I traveled with it.  So, I switched to using a local account.

You said you can't change it, but read through these instructions to see if anything helps: Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

EKGHelP

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about wanting to create a password reset USB stick in Win10 and wanted to help.

Here are some instructions: Password Reset Disk - Create on USB Flash Drive in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Good Luck
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestion. I was able to identify the problem from the guidance notes.

In my case the option to "Create a password disk" does not appear under Control Panel/User Accounts. The reason for this appears in the note under the information screen which says that a password reset disk can only be created for local accounts and not for Microsoft accounts.

My desktop PC had a local account so I was able to create a password reset disk for it but my laptop has a Microsft account. I would prefer it to have a local account but do not appear to be able to change it.

How does having a Microsoft account protect me?

HP Recommended

EKGHelP

The only way that it "protects" you (in MS terms ...) is that, if your forget the password, you can login to your MS account from another PC and reset it.  That's why you don't need a password reset disk.

I quit using that login approach because I did not like my email address displayed on the login screen for all to see.  That's OK on my desktop at home, but it was NOT OK on my laptop when I traveled with it.  So, I switched to using a local account.

You said you can't change it, but read through these instructions to see if anything helps: Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Good Luck

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your very useful reply and link. I have not carried this out yet but will do so as I share your view about not showing my email, address on my laptop.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.