10-18-2016 02:15 AM
Got a message that the computer had to restart. When it started again there was a new message that said: Boot device not found. Please install an operating system on your hard disk. I can't do anything from this point.
Yours sincerely Göran Johansson
10-18-2016 06:57 AM
Can you restart the laptop and enter the BIOS menu? If you can, please check that the HDD is shown in the list of bootable devices. If the drive is not being demonstrated as a valid bootable device, this means that the system cannot recognize it at the physical level. This could happen either if the connection is bad or the drive is failing /or have failed/. If your laptop is out of warranty, you can open it /with the battery and power cord detached/ and take out the hard drive for test purposes. You could test the drive while connected to another PC via SATA-USB adaptor. If the drive is not recognized in any location, then it has probably failed.
10-18-2016 07:13 AM
I can underestand the frustration , when you are not able to use the computer . Well , we are here to help you to the best of our ability.
I hope you have the backup of all your files, since during the course of troubleshooting, there is a possibility that we might loose everything that is there in it.
let us now try couple of things to resolve "Boot device not found " error message in your computer.
1) Turn the computer off. If you can remove the battery, please remove it and also unplug the charger. Now press the power button for 15 seconds and after that put in the battery and charger. Now restart the computer.
If the battery is not removable, then unplug the charger and press the volume down and power button for 15 seconds.
2) If the above step did not help, then turn the computer off. Now, as you turn it on , immediately start tapping on F2 (TAP, TAP, TAP...) , you will find the hardware diagnostic menu.. from this menu , choose component test / hard drive/quick test/ run once .. if the test fails , it might give you the failure id . and this means we need to repair the computer. You will have to call HP TECH SUPPORT @ 1-800-474-6836 to send the computer.
3) If the above test passes, then turn the computer off. The moment you press the power button, start tapping on F11 button . This will show you a blue screen first, (you can stop tapping on that) and then give you few options.
Choose Troubleshoot/recovery mangaer/system recovery.. Follow the instructions on the screen, as this will reinstall the operating system,,so that at the end of it the computer will be like a brand new one. This is a long process and would take about 1 hour to complete.
Please let me know , if you experience any doubt/challanges.
Thank you for choosing HP,
- HP PCs - How to Change or Reset Password (Windows 10)
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP PCs - How to Reset Your Computer to Factory Settings (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8)