Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15-dc1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased an OMEN by HP 15-dc1xxx. For almost two months I had no problem, but just over a week ago I realized that the GPU cooler (left side) is unstable at high speeds, that is, it reaches the maximum speed of rotation. Apparently there was no plausible reason, since both the CPU and the GPU were at normal temperatures, which does not justify this behavior.

I downloaded several software for monitoring the temperature and only on the SpeedFan I noticed a Temp1 sensor, which according to the diagnosis is controlled by ACPI, and I really believe that it is a controller on the motherboard, which causes the cooler to increase its speed for the maximum suddenly. The other sensors refer to the processor cores (6 cores), GPU and SSD, so only the motherboard is left. It is not a standard behavior, however I noticed that at temperatures above 60 ° C, referring to this Temp1 sensor, it sets the cooler rotation at maximum, even if I put my hand on the notebook and find that it is not at such a high temperature .

The fact that the cooler increases the speed is not a problem, but it increases the speed in a very sudden way, as if the computer were in "idle" and the cooler suddenly reaches the maximum speed. It is worth mentioning that this problem is related to the left cooler associated with the GPU, and it is a cyclical behavior, starting, staying for about 10 seconds and then stopping for about half a second and starting again. Sometimes it is also possible to notice that it "chokes", in the sense of increasing and decreasing the rotation in a fraction of milliseconds.

I also notice that, in some situations, this problem is partially solved by restarting the PC, but it is not always, so I have not yet been able to fully identify the problem.

I posted a video on youtube that shows the problem: https://youtu.be/7TxJ3I_PdNU

Some of the procedures I have already done were:

- I updated the BIOS to version F.16, newer;
- Downgraded the BIOS to version F.15;
- Updated the chipset drivers;
- Updated all notebook drivers;
- I reinstalled the operating system and reinstalled all drivers;
- Performed hardware tests;
- I did the hardware reset by pressing the "on / off" button for 1 minute (without releasing).

The only thing I was unable to do was update the BIOS-Firmware of the system, as my notebook claims that the drivers available on the HP website are not compatible with my device, which is very strange, but I don't know if it is necessarily the problem.

Well, this is a situation that is really bothering me, so I ask for help from the community and more experienced professionals to try to resolve this complication. I believe that this is not a physical problem with the cooler, but I did not open the notebook to investigate.

Appreciate!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello guys, any idea what it might be?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.