1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Recovery from boot error after Windows update. Error cx0000022

HP Pavilion b-172tx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

After a recent Windows update, my laptop does not boot and gives an error : cx0000022. I have been trying to recover it using the HP recovery manager. No luck so far. System restore stops with the error 0x80070005. Have been trying to backup important files to an external drive using this tool but that keeps failing. Can someone please help or guide me as to how I could recover without losing my vital data?

Thanks,

Raoul

1 REPLY
Dean Dean
Dean
7684 613 2709
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Recovery from boot error after Windows update. Error cx0000022

Hello @RaoulD

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

This is a common issue and you can read the general recommendation about it >here<

Usually, System Restore helps.

If System Restore fails, next steps would be HP Recovery (Windows reinstallation either from the built-in recovery partition or from external recovery media).

If you want to copy/back up your data, here is what I recommend you do :

You will need :

- either 1 empty/blank USB thumb drive

- Linux based operating system - free to download - e.g. Ubuntu or Linux Mint

You can directly download Ubuntu Desktop from Ubuntu's web site:

Download the x64 ISO > https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Once ready, you need to write the ISO to make a bootable media (e.g. bootable DVD or USB drive). Here is how:

How to create bootable ISO on USB device >> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

When ready with the USB drive:

* Load BIOS (F10)

* Ensure Secure Boot is disabled  (if applicable for your model)

* Ensure Legacy mode is enabled (if applicable for your model)

* Save the UEFI/BIOS changes and exit

(if applicable for your model) Details>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653226

Eventually, please, shutdown the computer using the power button.

Insert (plug it in) the Ubuntu USB thumdrive

Power on the PC.

As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately start hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) before any logo appears.

This should open a HP Startup Menu

Choose F9 to open Boot options. Select the USB thumb drive as boot option.

Follow the on-screen instructions to run Ubuntu (not install it but try it).

Ubuntu should load. You can try to see if it will be able to mount your existing HDD. If possible, you may be able to browse your files and copy what is necessary to a online Cloud storage service or to another device.

Hope this helps. Once you manage to copy/back up your data, let me know and I will provide next steps for Windows reinstallation

**** It would be great if you use the THUMB-UP+ button below for encouragement, likes and kudos
**** Please, hit the button to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helps **** Thanks !

I am not employed by HP Inc. I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** I work in IT and cyber security
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation