Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Good morning!

My wife has notebook HP Envy.

This notebook has been with Windows 8.1 x 64.

I changed HDD on the notebook, because it was broken and installed new Windows 10 Home with new license.

Unfortunately I can not know about free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

How can I restore Windows 8.1 with factory license, because I want give new license Windows 10 Home to my daughter.

Best regards.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If you identify your notebook with the product number, I may be able to give you an answer.

I need to know which model year the notebook came from and I can use the ppoduct number to find that out.

Look on the bottom of the notebook for the tiny print and find the ProdID.

That is also the product numbet.

Post it here in your next response.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Good evening, Dear Erico.

This is ProdID:  0888100000305800000310100

HP Recommended

Kindly provide the requested information.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Sorry, 

Product number: F0F11EA#ACB

HP Recommended

No worries.

I take it that you never created an HP USB recovery flash drive with the HP Recoverty media creator when you had the original OS installed.

Since your notebook is from the 2015 model year the license activation key is encoded in the BIOS. 

Unfortunately, HP and ComputerSurgeons.com. no longer stock the recovery media.

Microsoft removed thwe Windows 8 ISO files from circulation. You will need to install Windows 8.1 instead.

Run the Microsoft downloader at the following link to get the ISO

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

You may need a generic Windows installation key.

Generic Windows Installation Keys
Windows Edition Product Key
Windows 8 Professional NBHHD4-FKNK8-89X83-HTGM4-3C73G
Windows 8 Enterprise NNCVKH-RB9D4-R86X8-GB8WG-4M2K6
Windows 8.1 
Windows 8.1334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

You can also use the WIndows USB/DVD tool at the following link with your newly acquired ISO.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56485

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-install-windows-8-or-8-1-from-a-usb-device-2626228

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.