Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY X360 13Series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! I've just bought a new convertible laptop, but I'm not satisfied with the pre-installed OS. I prefer to have a highly customized system within another language. I've never used a convertible laptop before, so I would like to know:

Can I reinstall any similar version of windows without losing functions of touching screen and tablet mode?

Can I use a PE system in USB then just format everything and start from zero(with my own install pack) and still have touching screen and tablet mode available after reinstallation? As I said I prefer highly customized system. And after that, can I reinstall some necessary HP services back? 

If there're some limits, could you tell me that I need at least which version of windows to remain these two functions?

Current OS: Win10 1903, 10.0.18362

Device: ENVY X360 -13 series

Thank you for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@imbacv 

The basic truth about installing a different OS version, is that your laptop relies on HP drivers for full functionality.  When you replace the current OS with a different one, it will replace the drivers with generic ones from MS -- and until that is done, there is no way to tell what functions you are going to lose in the process.

One thing you COULD do is follow these directions to save off the current drivers -- that way, you would something to reinstall the drivers FROM if that proves to be needed:  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/68426-backup-restore-device-drivers-windows-10-a.html

I would also advise that you seriously consider making an Image Backup of your PC, this way, if you are unhappy with the custom solution, you can easily return to what is working now and start over with something else.

I personally prefer to use third-party Backup solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@imbacv 

The basic truth about installing a different OS version, is that your laptop relies on HP drivers for full functionality.  When you replace the current OS with a different one, it will replace the drivers with generic ones from MS -- and until that is done, there is no way to tell what functions you are going to lose in the process.

One thing you COULD do is follow these directions to save off the current drivers -- that way, you would something to reinstall the drivers FROM if that proves to be needed:  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/68426-backup-restore-device-drivers-windows-10-a.html

I would also advise that you seriously consider making an Image Backup of your PC, this way, if you are unhappy with the custom solution, you can easily return to what is working now and start over with something else.

I personally prefer to use third-party Backup solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Many thanks to your active response. That really helps a lot!! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.