Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 (Ryzen 5 4500U)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I want to reinstall windows 10. There is an option to keep "personal files", what are those exactly? Ex the documents directory, pictures dir, and what else? Will program files and program files (x86) be all deleted? What about the files that are associated with the programs, will they remain in the documents dir?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Joonas_123 

Microsoft advertises several different reset options -- and NONE of them retain your personal files or installed apps.  The least destructive one, known as a REFRESH, removes personal files and any apps you have installed, as it only retains the operating system and MS Store apps -- despite their not telling you this.

However, there is something known as a Repair-Install, in which you run a windows install without booting from it. That does retain your accounts, settings, personal data, and apps.  You require Windows install media to do that and you have to run the setup.exe command, not BOOT from the media. If that is what you are talking about, then you will be OK.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.