Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 13- c110ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
I reset my laptop due to system issues and as it reset I received a screen saying "reset failed" or along those lines. Now when I log into my user account it takes 3-5 minutes saying "preparing Windows" and as it logs on the screen is completely black with just the mouse cursor. I am able to open task manager and (sort of) navigate with that. I've tried troubleshooting but nothing has worked, what do I do?
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @T-biscuits, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand when you try to reset your PC you are getting reset failed error message on your PC.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Did you try to perform recovery using the recovery partition or the recovery discs?

Try running system diagnostics on your PC and let me know the results.

Refer this article to know how to perform system diagnostics on your PC.

If the test results pass it looks to be the operating system on your PC which has got corrupted.

Please contact HP and order a set of recovery discs.

Also, if the test results fail it is a hardware issue with your PC, contact HP and get the service options.

Link to contact HP.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
So I did a System Extensive Test which passed, recently I had my keyboard replaced, a couple keys werent working due to possible water damage. I've also tried start-up repair which replied with error messages such as "couldn't repair PC" or "Did not start up properly". As for the recovery discs I'm not sure how to use those.
HP Recommended

@RogerEKondrup, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the system extensive test passed and when you tried to start up you are getting the error couldn't repair PC.

You can try performing a recovery from the recovery partition on your PC and check if it helps.

Turn on the computer.
Keep tapping the F11 key on your PC to boot into recovery manager.

Under Help, click Windows Recovery Environment.

Click OK. The system will reboot into the Windows Recovery environment.

Click Troubleshoot.

Click Recovery Manager.

Click Recover without backing up your files, and then click Next.

Read the System Recovery information. To proceed, click Next.

Recovery Manager is preparing the system for recovery.

The preparations are complete. Click Continue

The computer restarts. Follow any on-screen instructions and do not interrupt it during the process. The computer might restart a number of times during the recovery process.

It looks like the operating system on your PC has got corrupted you have to run a recovery using the recovery discs.

Refer this article to know how to run recovery using the discs.

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
So I attempted these methods but i can't seem to find the buttons or actions you are describing
HP Recommended

@T-biscuits, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned you are unable to find the recovery options.

It looks like the recovery partition on your PC has got corrupted, Please try performing recovery using the recovery discs.

If you don't have please contact HP support and order a set of recovery discs.

Link to contact HP.

Have a wonderful day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.