Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-ba015wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm attempting an F11 reset on my HP Notebook (15-ba015wm) and after 14+ hours and counting it appears stalled at 99%. It's been at that 99% now over 9 hours and I'm hesitant to just shut it down out of concern for corrupting the system recovery portion of the drive.

It's got a 500gig HDD, 4 gigs of RAM, an AMD E2 quad core and is running Windows 10 Home. I used the F11 option at boot-up to enter the recovery menu form which I chose to delete all my files, etc., and do a reset to the original factory specs.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the recovery doesn't complete, the only suggestion I can offer would be to clean install W10 as follows...

You can make a W10 USB flash drive installer with the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, using an 8 GB flash drive using another Windows PC, if your PC is not working.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Here are the steps to create the W10 USB flash drive installer...

Select Download tool now, and select Run.

If you agree to the license terms, select Accept.

On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next.

Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10. You want 64 bit.

Select which media you want to use:

USB flash drive. Plug in a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space. Any content on the flash drive will be deleted.

Then you can reinstall the drivers and available software from the PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-15-ba000-Notebook-PC-series/10862317

HP Recommended

Thanks for the swift response but if I were to install a downloaded Windows 10 copy from Microsoft the cost of the license would far exceed the cost of a replacement from H/P which runs about $50 with shipping on a USB device.

Not having a viable option after more than 24 hours of the notebook being stuck at 99% I shut it off and after a few minutes re-started it to see what would happen. To my surprise, pleasant I might add, it woke up by announcing that it had been unable to erase all of my files and recomended that I try to reset it again. I did so and walked away to take care of another project and about 2 hours later I heard Cortana start talking to me from the kitchen where I had left it to do it's thing. With no further intervention from me it had reset itself and reinstalled the original version of Windows and surprisingly enough had managed to wipe all the previous files and settings and put everything back to the way it was when new.

I can't guarantee that this is what everyone else can expect since there's no literature I've seen that says that a stalled reset will reboot and explain what the problem was and suggest another attempt but that is what happened in my case.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The procedure I posted would have cost you absolutely nothing.

Your notebook has a W10 product key in the BIOS, and the installation media you create will automatically pick up the product key in the BIOS, install and automatically activate.

In any event, I am glad you got W10 to eventually recover.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.