Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion m6-1009TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

My old laptop was running very slowly so decided to to a "reset", the big reset that deleted my old files and apps etc.  My laptop originally had Windows 7, but about a year ago I upgraded to Window 10 - which i regret as it slowed my laptop down terribly/

Half way through the reset the screen read that it was unable to do a reset, it gave me the option to try again, so I did and a while later it stated again that is was unable to complete reset and gave me the option to cancel, so I did.  

This morning I try to turn my laptop on and got a message that is couldn't find an operating system on my hard drive, it had an error msg, which I failed to write down it also directed me to visit HP.com techsupport.

I followed a reboot video, which said to remove battery, replace, turn back on holding F10... nothing happened other than the laptop beeped for a long time and the screen reads that an operating system wasn't found, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart, when I do that I get the same screen back again.

Please help

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

> Half way through the reset the screen read that it was unable to do a reset, it gave me the option to try again, so I did and a while later it stated again that is was unable to complete reset 

Any other error-message at the same time as the "unable to do a reset" ?

My first guess is that your disk-drive is "failing", and trying to write to it has failed.

How old is the laptop?  Is it still under warranty?

How old is the disk-drive? Can you turn the laptop upside down, and remove a "cover", to view the top of the disk-drive?

The date of manufacture, the name of the manufacturer, the model-number, and the serial-number should be visible.

What are the values? Please do NOT post the serial-number here.

Instead, access the manufacturer's web-site (www.westerndigital.com or www.seagate.com or ...) and look for a "check warranty" web-page.  Use that page to get more information about the disk-drive.

HP Recommended

I'm sure my warranty has expired, I purchased the laptop 2012/13.

I managed to run a hard drive diagnostic test and it passed the SMART Check, but failed the Short DST with a Failure ID : GU71VL-0008HP-XD7X1G-60RQ03.

Do you know what the failure id means?

Thanks

HP Recommended

> I purchased the laptop 2012/13

The disk-drive probably had a 2-year or 3-year warranty, but it's been working for over 4 years.

>  it passed the SMART Check, but failed the Short DST with a Failure ID : GU71VL-0008HP-XD7X1G-60RQ03.

> Do you know what the failure ID means?

No, I don't, but an "imminent failure" is a bad thing.

If the disk-drive was still working, even "slowly", I would recommend:

* buy a new, "compatible", disk-drive (I prefer WESTERN DIGITAL or SEAGATE);

* download the free "disk-cloning" software from the respective web-site;

* connect the new disk-drive to your computer;

* run the software to "clone" your current disk-drive onto the new disk-drive;

* install the new disk-drive;

* resume normal usage.

The great advantages of "cloning" are:

* all your files & installed programs are preserved;

* you can purchase a larger/faster disk-drive, and the "cloning" software will automatically "expand" the partitions to use all the available capacity of the new disk-drive;

* the disk-cloning software is extremely fast, because it does not need to do a slow "file-by-file" copy.

But, since it is "failing" while you are trying to reinstall Windows, this is a different scenario.

Steps:

* buy a new disk-drive;

* install Windows 10 (Microsoft has granted you a "digital entitlement" to reinstall Windows 10 onto any computer where Windows 10 was previously running);

* connect the "old" disk-drive as a "slave" disk-drive;

* even though you cannot "boot" from the old disk-drive, it may still be possible to access all your files/pictures/music/bookmarks/E-mail, and copy to your new disk-drive.

See: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

if you need to download Windows 10, i.e., you don't have a "System Recovery" set.

(This "set" is either one USB memory-stick, or a few DVD disks.)

This is the "generic" version of Windows 10 -- not "customized" by HP for your HP computer.

Access: http://support.hp.com to download the HP-specific device-drivers for your specific hardware.

Specifically: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-m6-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5259...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.