Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I've tried to complete a factory reset to fully wipe and reset my laptop but part way through the reset function it crashes out and says:

Reset this PC

There was a problem while resetting your PC.

Then it asks me to cancel and takes me back to the start menu. How do I reset the laptop?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Is there a command prompt that will wipe it for me?

HP Recommended

Yes, there is. Search for the command prompt in the start menu, right click it and select the option to "Run as administrator". Next type in the following command: systemreset -factoryreset

Afterwards it would be just like how it was in the graphical user interface from the settings, where you could pick the option you would like to use.

My Setup:
HP Notebook: HP 14-dk0028wm
Current Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
HP Recommended

Hey! thanks for the help. I've tried that and get the following message:

X:\windows\system32>systemreset-factoryreset

'systemreset-factoryreset' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable programme or batch file.

HP Recommended

Did you type the command with the space after the "-"?

Example: systemreset -factoryreset

My Setup:
HP Recommended

Yes and now I have a new error. It's not linked to the run command but when I went back to the main menu the laptop restarted and then came up with:

Boot device not found

Please install operating system on your hard disk

HP Recommended

That was unexpected. Okay, shut down your computer and turn it back on. As it is booting, quickly press the F11 key. That should cause the laptop to enter into its recovery manager screen. Click on the troubleshoot option then look for "Reset this PC", once there pick the option you would like. If that doesn't work, you go to Startup Repair (I believe it is located in Advanced Otpions). If that option did not work try going to the Command Prompt located in the advanced options section and type the command: diskpart 

Once there type the command: list volume

This would provide a list of all the volumes on your disk, pick the largest volume; the one with the most GBs (either volume 0 or volume 1)

Then select the volume using the command: select volume [number] (example: if volume 1 has the largest size you would use the command: select volume 1 )

Once the volume has been selected, type in: active

Once that has been entered, type the command: assign

Afterwards, type in the command: exit 

And from the recovery manager screen, beneath the " Troubleshoot" option, select turn off POC and it should boot you back onto Windows.

If that does not work either. Use another computer and download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from the official Microsoft website. Get a blank flashdrive and plug it onto the same computer. Open and run the program, select the "Create installation media for another PC" option then select the USB flash drive as the media you want to use, the program would guide you along the installation. Once that has been completed, plug it onto your HP laptop, turn it on and before it finishes booting press the F9 key to enter the boot menu and select the flash drive to which you wish to boot from. Do the steps repeated above to see if that would work.

If it doesn't and as a last ditch effort you can use the flashdrive with Windows 10 to reinstall it onto your PC. You could use a linux distribution to obtain any necessary files prior to wiping the disk from the sotrage medium. You can redownload any HP software or specific drivers for the laptop on their site, if you so desire.

My Setup:
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.