Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

no disk was provided at purchase and a user set admin password. Must get in to restore to original settings upon purchase. The F11 key for restore is not available when esc key is pressed during start up.
How do I get inside this computer???

[Personal Information Removed]

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

See if you can remove the Admin Password - see Here.

When done, try option 1 in my previous post.  Otherwise, the only other options are to order Recovery Disc, or if notebook came with Windows 7, try the following.

There may be a work around if you have ( or can borrow ) a retail Windows 7 installation disc that is exactly the same version as your OEM installation - ie if your notebook came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit this is the exact retail version you would need.

If you have access to this, just use the retail disc to perform the installation, enter the activation key found on the underside of your notebook when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Any additional drivers you may need can be found starting Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi,

There are Two options to try and reinstall Windows - the 2nd is the easiest, but you may want to try the 1st to see if it will save you having to order a replacement set of discs - make sure to back-up any important files first.

1.  If you can still boot in to Windows, hold down the Windows Key and press R.  Into the Run Box type compmgmt.msc and hit enter.  Click Disk Management in the left pane and when the partitions have loaded, right click the Recovery Partition and mark it as 'Active'.  Close all open windows and then restart - if this has worked, the notebook will boot from the Recovery Partition upon restart.

2.  You can order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi,

I can not get in because someone has set a pswd on Administrator and the f11 key is disabled.

Can I do anything outside of ordering a disk..??

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

See if you can remove the Admin Password - see Here.

When done, try option 1 in my previous post.  Otherwise, the only other options are to order Recovery Disc, or if notebook came with Windows 7, try the following.

There may be a work around if you have ( or can borrow ) a retail Windows 7 installation disc that is exactly the same version as your OEM installation - ie if your notebook came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit this is the exact retail version you would need.

If you have access to this, just use the retail disc to perform the installation, enter the activation key found on the underside of your notebook when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Any additional drivers you may need can be found starting Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi,

First thingMonday morning I will try to use the CD I just made and then part 1 from your previous post.

THANKS!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your welcome. let me know how it goes.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi,

IT WORK...THANKS SO MUCH...!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome, glad it helped :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

after the restarting for recovery failure message came informing that recovery hard drive is inaccessible. i want to recover my computer. so what should i do?

HP Recommended
I tried option 1 and how it says Bootmanager is missing. Any ideas?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.