Level 1
6 3 1 1
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Several Odd Symptoms After Emergency System Re-install

ZBook G3 15"
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

About a month ago I turned on my G3 ZBook after a brief absence (it is my 2nd computer) and it would not boot up.  It told me that it had some fatal error and, because I had never saved a restore point (don't know how that is possible), I could not start it again without re-installing from the partition.  I did this, re-loaded my software, followed the instructions and everything seemed to be well.  (I saved several restore points along the way.)

But it now has some weird, albeit familiar issues.  First, after finally loading Windows,  it starts with a message on the screen

"This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy.  Choose 'Switch To' to activate the busy program and correct the problem." 

I have no programs set to start automatically and nothing has been started by me yet.  It just starts with this on-screen.  I click on the "switch to" button and it opens the start button menu.  I close this and it doesn't come back.

Second; whenever I open my downloads folder it stalls, and the green progress bar starts moving across the path bar.  It often moves slowly and I have to wait several seconds just to see the contents of the folder.  I have never seen this before when just opening that folder.  It runs like it is doing a search.  This happens every time, not just once per session.

Third, certain windows updates won't install.

Every few minutes, even when unattended, the keyboard will light up like someone is using it.  I use an external keyboard and so it is not usually lit.  This one bugs me the most because it tells me that something is going on but I can see no sign of what it is.

Finally, my HP Connection Manager will not work.  I get a message about 15 minutes after starting the computer:  

"HP Connection Manager Service has stopped responding.  Please exit and re-start the application."

This does not resolve the problem.  I have tried re-installing the software from an HP download, but the same symptom remains.  This also deactivates the wireless on/off button above the keyboard.  I have to go into the network adapter settings to turn off or on the wireless.

This has convinced me to try to re-install my system from the recovery discs that came with the computer.  I'm going to try the method of re-installing without deleting my files and see if that works.  If this attempt does not work, I will have to run a complete wipeout of my drive and then reinstall and see if that solves things. 

But I am seeking any similar stories and/or advice.  Any insights would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Oh, this happened less than a month after my 3-year warranty ran out, so I can't call it in.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation