Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 16 (1,010 Views)

Spectre x2 shuts down suddenly

Product Name: Spectre x2
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Spectre x2 keeps turning off automatically without warning, even when I'm just watching YouTube videos or using Facebook. There's nothing to signal that it's going to happen, it just goes to a black screen.

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 16 (987 Views)

Re: Spectre x2 shuts down suddenly

Hi there!

Before I provide troubleshooting documentation @laggalanne, I would like to take a minute to welcome you to the HP Support Community! I will do my absolute best to help you resolve the shut down issues that you have with your HP Spectre x2. 

I have seen it in the past where dust in the Notebook was creating the issue and with that being said, please make sure to clean out all of the vents in your Notebook. 

Please use the links in the questions below to troubleshoot and then re-post with the answers to the questions/results of the troubleshooting. 

Have you tried to start in Safe Mode?

Have you done a BIOS reset?

Have you tried to do a disk defragment?

Have you tried to do a disk cleanup?

Please try cleaning the vents inm your Noteobok

Is the Fan Noisy or Spin Constantly?

Is the PC Warmer than Normal

Have you tried Testing for hardware failures?

Here are some documents for you that may help:

If this post helps you to resolve the issue, please pay it forward by clicking Accept as Solution button, to the right of the thumbs up icon. You can click the Thumbs up icon to show your appreciation for my efforts today!  Smiley Happy

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help. When you re-post, please provide me with the detailed results from the troubleshooting above.

Thank you for joining in!

Have a wonderful day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Top Student
Message 3 of 16 (976 Views)

The Spectre doesn't really have vents, at least ones that are obvious enough to have dust in them.

I tried testing for hardware failures, but nothing came up in the fast test, and the computer did the shutdown literally during the extensive test, so it failed. I don't know how to prevent it from shutting down so that I can try another extensive test.

I have no idea how to do the BIOS reset, and the instructions are really confusing in that link that you sent me.

I'm not sure how starting in Safe Mode would fix the problem, exactly. The computer works fine until it turns off unexpectedly and I have to reboot.

What's a disk defragment? What does that entail?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Retired
Message 4 of 16 (964 Views)

Hey, thanks for getting back to me! 

You wrote:

"I tried testing for hardware failures, but nothing came up in the fast test, and the computer did the shutdown literally during the extensive test, so it failed. I don't know how to prevent it from shutting down so that I can try another extensive test."

What was the exact error message that you had received?

What did the first quick test say?

"I have no idea how to do the BIOS reset, and the instructions are really confusing in that link that you sent me."

Please follow these steps to recover an earlier version of the BIOS on your notebook:

• Plug the notebook into a power source using the power adapter (not a power bar)
  • Turn off the computer.
  • While the Notebook is off, press and hold the Windows logo key  and the B key at the same time.
  • While pressing those keys, press and hold down the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds
  • Then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows and B keys
  • Hold the Windows key and B key down until the BIOS update screen is displayed or until you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).

Eventually, an HP BIOS Update screen displays and the BIOS update begins automatically.

• If the HP BIOS Update screen displays, continue to step 5.
  • If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, please go back to the Restoring the BIOS document and find your condition from the options available. 

"I'm not sure how starting in Safe Mode would fix the problem, exactly. The computer works fine until it turns off unexpectedly and I have to reboot."

Safe Mode is a diagnostic mode that allows you to use Windows with basic drivers. If you encounter errors or software problems in Windows, restarting in Safe Mode allows you to continue working and troubleshoot the problem. 

You can also do a clean boot and see if that helps. 

"What's a disk defragment? What does that entail?"

Over time, your computer creates, deletes, and moves many different-sized files on your hard drive. This normal usage of your computer will leave fragments of files separated and disorganized. Disk Defragmenter consolidates fragmented files and then rearranges them into continuous storage spaces. As a result, the hard drive operates faster and more efficiently. HP recommends defragmenting your hard drive at least once a month.

Please make sure that you follow all of the steps in each document provided. This should help you resolve the issue. Please let me know the detailed results of the troubleshooting. 

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Top Student
Message 5 of 16 (941 Views)

Okay, so since you last posted, I did a BIOS reset (which solved nothing) and did an extensive system check as well as a hard drive check, both of which it just said that they "passed." 

I don't how how to do the disk defragment. Do you have instructions for how to do that as well? 

Additionally, now when the notebook crashes, it's been making a staticky noise and then showing me white and black horizontal bars across the screen. I've noticed that it prolongs crashing if it's A. plugged in and B. attached to the keyboard. 

Thank you for your help. 

Retired
Message 6 of 16 (939 Views)

Hi there, 

Thank you for getting back to me. You had asked about the steps to a do a disk defragment. In the paragraph below (from my previous post) there are step by step instructions included in the link from Microsoft. 

"Over time, your computer creates, deletes, and moves many different-sized files on your hard drive. This normal usage of your computer will leave fragments of files separated and disorganized. Disk Defragmenter consolidates fragmented files and then rearranges them into continuous storage spaces. As a result, the hard drive operates faster and more efficiently. HP recommends defragmenting your hard drive at least once a month."

What were the exact messages that you had received?

Did you check any other components?

What did the first quick test say?

What happened when you go into Safe Mode?

Please let me know. 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Top Student
Message 7 of 16 (931 Views)

I did the disk defragmenter thing and nothing changed, it still crashes.

All it said was that the tests were passed, I didn't exactly write anything down. I did an extensive system check, so I assumed that was checking everything. Both the extensive and the quick check said that the system is fine.

Nothing specifically happened when I went into Safe Mode? It was just Safe Mode, but I didn't know what you wanted me to do while in Safe Mode.

However, my notebook is now heating up more than usual during usage, and in order to keep it up and running I have to have a fan pointed at it.

Thanks for your help.

Retired
Message 8 of 16 (927 Views)

Hi there! 

I really appreciate all of your answers and re-posts! It really helps me to try and find a solution for you. 

Does the Notebook crash while you are in Safe Mode also? Please try navigating and doing your normal routine while in Safe Mode (with networking if you would like to use the internet) to see if while in Safe Mode you are able to use the Notebook without it crashing on you because of overheating.

There are two documents that I had provided previously called Fan is Noisy or Spins Constantly and Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating. In these documents there are steps that may help. The Fan document says: 

To help your computer run as cool and efficiently as possible, do one or more of the following corrective actions: 

• Updating your Notebook computer BIOS
  • Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean
  • Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat
  • Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes
  • Selecting power save settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use

I realize that you have already tried performing some of these steps to rectify the overheating issue. 

In the Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating document, it explains how most notebook computers have vents located around the case to allow air to flow through the case. If these vents become clogged, or if heat-generating parts become dusty, the fan cannot work properly to cool the components. You will notice that there are diagrams and steps that show you where and how to clean out any dust particles. 

Some of the steps in the heat document are the same as the noisy fan document and there are some steps in there that you have already done (which I appreciate) such as the hardware testing. 

You mentioned that you are using a fan to cool down the Notebook. Is that working to keep the heat down?

How long does it work for before it shuts down?

How does the fan that is in the Notebook sound?

Does it sound like it is louder than usual?

Can you do Windows Updates?

What shows up for Updates?

Can you do updates using the HP Support Assistant?

What shows up as needing updated?

Could you please provide me with your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?). This will help me look into your driver page to see if there was an update put out that may help. 

I appreciate you continuing to get back to me Smiley Happy 

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Top Student
Message 9 of 16 (917 Views)

I tried the thing with Safe Mode, and it still crashes. It takes about ten minutes from the very moment that I turn it on, not hot, for it to crash. 

Both you and the articles you're sending me to keep referring to vents, and the Spectre x2 doesn't have any that are clearly supposed to be for venting heat. I don't know if you'd qualify it as a notebook, then? It's essentially a tablet that is designed to function as a laptop, as it has a keyboard that comes with it. But there are no fans and no vents on it. 

I can do updates if it stays on long enough to allow the updates to register. 

The product number is N5S16UA#ABA. 

Additionally, the state of my laptop seems to be deteriorating. It's very difficult to turn it on now, and sometimes doesn't even get to the place to sign on without crashing. I don't know if it would stay on to install anything. I doubt that. 

I still have eight months left on my warranty... How do I use that? I really just want and need a working computer. 

Thanks for your help. 

Retired
Message 10 of 16 (905 Views)

Hi there @laggalanne

Thank you so much for replying! 

The documentation that I have been providing to you is the same as the documents available for the HP Spectre x2 - 12-a011nr.  Just for your own reference, you can find the documents that I had provided and more on your product page (the link will take you there).  

You had said that your Spectre shuts down even while trying to boot into Safe Mode, which tells me that your next step would be to contact us. Safe Mode is used to troubleshoot and eliminate where the source of the problem may be coming from and it seems that the problem occurs regardless of what may be running (software wise) on the Notebook. 

It is unfortunate that the steps did not work for you. Please use the following link to create yourself a case number and contact us:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

When you contact us you will speak with a representative that could help you have the Spectre serviced under warranty if necessary. They may do some troubleshooting steps with you that are repetitive to what we have done, but this will allow them to see/hear what is happening for themselves, so that they can take the best course of action for repair. 

I sincerely hope that this information helps rectify the situation for you! Please keep me updated. Smiley Happy

Have a great day! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation