Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to keep a system image for recovery.  Apparently, even though I ordered a laptop with Windows 10 Home, BitLocker is enabled and the main drive is encrypted.  So, I have several questions about this situation: Why is BitLocker enabled on a Home device? Will this affect my ability to upgrade to Pro? Can I manage BitLocker as a Home user without upgrading to Pro?  Will I be able to recover from a system image created with BitLocker enabled - I reviewed some web posts that suggest that image file will be no good for restoring the system because it is NOT encrypted when created and the recovery process expects BitLocker to be enabled on the laptop from the get go and cannot recover an non-encrypted image?  If BitLocker cannot be disabled on a Home/HP system for producing a viable image to recover, what do I need to do to rectify this situation - buy Pro? Can image utilities like Acronis True Image work with BitLocker encrypted drives to produce a viable image?

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@drgipson57
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

BitLocker Encryption is enabled, by default, on computers that support Modern Standby. This is true regardless of the Windows 10 version (Home, Pro, etc.) is installed. BitLocker uses a low-level device driver to encrypt and decrypt all file operations, making interaction with the encrypted volume transparent to applications running on the platform. 

Encryption helps protect the data on your device so it can only be accessed by people who have authorization. It is vital that you back up your BitLocker recovery key, and that you know how to retrieve it.

Refer to the following HP Knowledge Base articles on how to tell if your drives or devices are encrypted and on saving and retrieving your BitLocker key:

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@drgipson57
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

BitLocker Encryption is enabled, by default, on computers that support Modern Standby. This is true regardless of the Windows 10 version (Home, Pro, etc.) is installed. BitLocker uses a low-level device driver to encrypt and decrypt all file operations, making interaction with the encrypted volume transparent to applications running on the platform. 

Encryption helps protect the data on your device so it can only be accessed by people who have authorization. It is vital that you back up your BitLocker recovery key, and that you know how to retrieve it.

Refer to the following HP Knowledge Base articles on how to tell if your drives or devices are encrypted and on saving and retrieving your BitLocker key:

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.