07-23-2016 12:12 AM
07-23-2016 12:43 AM
Welcome to the HP Support forums. Thank you for posting!
If you aleady performed the BIOS/UEFI hardware tests and if they say HDD fails, then this is it. The problem is hardware related - not Windows, not software and the hardware (HDD) needs to be replaced.
1) If your computer is still under active warranty period , please contact HP Support and inform them. They will work with you about the way to replace the faulty component. Contact HP:
2) If your computer is with warranty period expired, you will need to replace the faulty HDD - buy it on your own. There are variety of options - vendors you can choose from - you need 2.5 inches HDD SATA. You can get it online or from PC retail store.
You can also consider installing SSD instead of HDD - this is strongly recommended as SSDs are way faster, more repliable and lighter. More info on SSDs:
How to replace the faulty HDD with new HDD or new SSD: please, find info and instruction in your computer's manual or watch YouTube videos as an example. If you do not want to do this on your own, please bring the computer (or ship it) to HP Authorized Service Center where the technicians will do this for you. If you are not sure where such a center is located, check these or contact HP for assistance in finding the nearest one for you:
Last part - once you replace the faulty component with new HDD or SSD - you will need to reinstall back your operating system - Windows or another. So,
* IF your computer originally came with Windows preinstalled by HP (a.k.a. OEM Windows), then you need to use HP recovery media - DVDs or USB pen drive you have previously created or recovery media purchased from HP
* IF your computer did not originally come with Windows preinstalled but you later installed operating system on your own, you need to use the OS / Windows installation media and install Windows on your own.
Please, let me know how it goes and do post back if you need assistance. If my post helped you, please use the button to mark it as an accepted solution.
Please, use the button to accept this post as a solution if my comment helped
* * * IT_WinSec : I am not employed by HP Inc. I am a volunteer and I express personal opinion only. I work in IT and cyber security
- HP PCs - How to Change or Reset Password (Windows 10)
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP PCs - How to Reset Your Computer to Factory Settings (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8)