Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Stream Notebook - 11-d020nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer had virtually no storage left on its C drive, and I could not update my anivirus anymore, so I decided to reset the laptop so I could start over and get a different antivirus (I had the free version of Avast).  It came up with an error while resetting the first time, so I tried again through troubleshooting, and it came up with the same error. I tried to restart my computer, but this time it kept looping the startup blue hp symbol, so I pressed F11 and it took me to a page that said my laptop needed to be repaired by tools on installation media (disc or USB) which I do not have. I went to look for a USB - seeing as my laptop does not accomodate for discs - on the hp website, and I could not find one. What should I do? I've only  had her for 2 years...

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Tap F2 as you power up, go into diagnostics and run the hard drive amd memory tests and report results here please. 

Assuming the hardware is OK we can get you a Windows 10 thumb drive from the Microsoft Media Creation Tool site and reinstall a bare metal Windows 10. You will lose your personal data, of course. Drivers we can find here. Apps are another matter. 

Once you are ready we can discuss how to do what is called a compact installation and also can discuss how to utilize a SD card for additional storage and take some load off the tiny hard drive. 

HP Recommended
Ok so I did the system test, including the hardware and memory, and everything ok and passed.
HP Recommended
How do I go about getting a Windows 10 thumb drive?
HP Recommended
I have this exact problem, the test came back passed apart from battery calibration required? Could you please help me fix this? Thanks
HP Recommended

Hi @Charliet17,

Thanks for stopping by the HP community. A very good day to you. 🙂 I reviewed the post regarding the computer not booting to windows because the reset did not work correctly. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Superb description and stupendous diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you with it. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

First off, to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this.

• Is it also a stream notebook and the same exact model?
  • Did you try a reset from the recovery partition or from a USB flash drive obtained from HP?
  • Did all the complete hardware diagnostics pass?
  • Please let me know the complete model# of the computer to assist you better.

• Please try to perform a system recovery to factory settings from this link if the complete hardware diagnostics passed. There is an associated video for it as well. Please select the most relevant option.that best describes your current situation.
  • If this does not work try these links based on your current situation.
  • HP PCs - Recovering your computer from a USB flash drive link

• HP PCs - Resetting Your PC to Resolve Problems (Windows 😎 link

• HP PCs - Refresh Your PC to Resolve Problems (Windows 😎 link

• If this does not work please contact HP phone support to try and get the issue resolved.

•  Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
  • Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
  • Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
  • Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.
  • They will be happy to assist you immediately.
  • If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a terrific week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.