Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-an012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I don't have a backup drive, so whatever is on there will have to suffice. Is there troubleshooting for this problem or will I just have to wipe the drive completely and order the HP Recovery Kit?

The message is very vague but I can retry and post a screenshot if necessary. It basically just says there was an error after trying for a few minutes but doesn't name an error number or reason otherwise.

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You can check all of that in F2 Diagnostics.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Jamarsanna

Have you tested hard drive and memory? Immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. This will open a menu where F2 System Diagnostics is an option. Tap F2 key and run the tests.

Your Windows 10 license key is embedded in BIOS and you can reinstall Windows without HP Recovery Media. Microsoft provides the free Media Creation Tool to download files and create a Windows 10 usb flash drive.Advantage is you will have latest updated version of Windows 10. At least 8gb flash drive required:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Select Download tool now, and select Run.
If you agree to the license terms, select Accept.
On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next.
Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10.
The Guide here shows the steps.Pay attention to Step 5 if you will be using another pc:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-install-windows-10-a.html
-------------------------------
When the flash drive is prepared insert it in a usb port. Power on the laptop and immediately start tapping Esc key. From the menu tap F9 key and use the arrow keys to move to and select usb. Tap Enter key.
When installing and you go through first few screens- choose Custom and select each partition and delete each (if you have more than one).Install on the unallocated space left from that process.Continue with installation.It should pickup the key from BIOS but if it asks at any point just choose "I don't have a key". It will continue and should activate once you are online.

This will not include the original software from HP but most of it can be installed from your Support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-by-hp-17-an000-laptop-pc/15551440/model/171063...

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. 

I watched a youtube video that suggested typing:

reagentc/disable

reagentc/enable

exit

into the cmd prompt and that seems to have fixed the issue - no idea what this did however.

But, the resetting process is already past the initial preparation phase and 84% complete on the Omen Loading Screen.

However, I will take your advice and check HDD and memory anyways when it is complete.

Also thanks for the link to the Windows flash file and instructions. They should be useful in the future.

HP Recommended

As an aside, is there a list of necessary diagnostics I should run on the newly booted pc to check hardware and software stability besdies checking things like HDD and Ram? I'm giving the pc to a friend and I don't want them to have any problems with it.

HP Recommended

You can check all of that in F2 Diagnostics.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.