07-27-2011 07:30 PM
Hello, i just got my new M4 SSD, I have the restore disc for the laptop ( HP PAVILION DV6 ), the recovery disc is for Windows 7 64-bit. I removed the HDD from the computer and now put in the SSD. But when installing the factory image on the SSD I keep getting an error:
"COPY FILE FAILS
PRES OK TO RETRY."
I keep pressing retry and nothing keep getting the same message. This is my first SSD and first time installing a drive on a laptop. Does anyone with the similar laptop have the same error? Should I just try doing a image copy on another machine( hook up both, old hdd and ssd on another machine and copy an image to the ssd)? If so, what's a good imaging software, and possibly free?
07-27-2011 07:43 PM
You might need to do a "quick format" of the SSD for starters.
I use Paragon to image my hard drive to my SSDs but there are other good products. Paragon also provides a boot CD. I try to avoid certain "freebie" products and sometimes the functionality is greatly reduced. Intel might even have an installation product recommendation and procedure for you.
You might also need and external USB enclosure or sata to USB adapter so that you can image across your HD to your new SSD. This would alllow you to double check that everythings get copied before you exchange the hard drive for the SSD.
- HP PCs Forgot the Sign-in Password (Windows 10)
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Overview of Recovering or Reinstalling the Operating System (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)
- HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8)