Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dm3 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

All 4 of my usb ports will not recognize any device.  the devices work on other computers.  I have tried updating the drivers, remove and reinstall, ran troubleshooters,  and system restore.  No luck.  one port will allow an iphone to charge but not recognized in my computer.  Any advice.  they were all working fine yesterday.  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@joshuasoileau

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand none of the USB ports recognize the device, though one of it is charging an iPhone,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you notice any updates being installed or interrupted lately?

Have you had any thunderstorms or power surges while the computer was plugged in/or being used?

While you respond to that, I have a list of steps to help resolve your concern: 

• Before you begin 

• Troubleshooting steps 

• USB device not detected by Windows (no device name in Device Manager) 

• USB storage device is not shown in Safely Remove Hardware window 

• Front USB ports do not work on a desktop computer. 

• The mouse responds slowly, if at all 

•  USB 2.0 Device Does Not Work When Connected to a USB 3.0 Port 

For details on each step: Click here

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did you notice any updates being installed or interrupted lately?

No interruptions.

Have you had any thunderstorms or power surges while the computer was plugged in/or being used?

no power surges.

I ran  the HP hardware test from the bios  and all 4 usb ports passed  the test.  

HP Recommended

@joshuasoileau

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I can't help but notice that the steps I had suggested included a lot of other steps including the ones you've replied with,

steps like: 

1. installing USB manufacturer software: Some USB devices require manufacturer software be installed before the USB device will work.

1. If the USB device came with software, and it was not previously installed, install the software now, following the manufacturer instructions.

2. After installing manufacturer software, reconnect the USB device that was having problems.

The device should now work correctly. If problems persist, continue to the next step.

2. Microsoft easy fix solutions: Microsoft provides a web-based automatic diagnostic and repair application. Go to the How to use Microsoft easy fix solutions webpage (in English) and select the troubleshooter that most closely matches your issue. Then follow the on-screen instructions. If the device still does not work, go to the next step.

3. Windows Update: Running Windows Update checks for operating system updates required for your computer. Go to Windows Update (in English) and follow the on-screen steps to check for updates, and opt in on all recommended and optional driver updates. If the device still does not work, go to the next step.

4. Microsoft System Restore: If the USB device was previously working, then subsequently became unusable, try Microsoft System Restore to go back to a time prior to when the device failed. Refer to Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎 for more information. If the device still does not work, go to the next step.

Also, Did you check if the USB device is getting detected by Windows (no device name in Device Manager)?

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i have tried all of the above and no luck.  I am assuming virus must have them hijacked.

HP Recommended

@joshuasoileau

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

A virus, that could be dangerous, to your files, I hope you've got an Anti-virus program installed and updated,

The only way to recover the computer from a Virus, if the Anti-virus program fails it to reset the computer back to the factory defaults, which by the way was supposed to be my next step if you've already done a system restore among other steps including USB root hub reinstallation suggested earlier:

Click here to understand how it works (Step by step instructions)

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.