Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop PC 14-ea1000 (446B8AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

I recently bought a Spectre x360 14 (with 3K x 4K display) which comes with Win11 Home pre-installed.  I had an extra license for Win11 Pro so I upgraded the OS to Win11 Pro.

After trying unsuccessfully to update drivers from hp.com, I went to online chat for help from a seemingly well-informed agent who advised me that hp.com will only offer updates to the OS version that was on the computer when I bought it.  HP does  offer Win11 Pro on custom-ordered Spectre x360 14 computers, so they do have the drivers, they simply won't offer them to me.

Before I consider returning the computer, I wanted to verify if that was in fact HP's policy and implementation.

In case that sounds like a severe reaction (it is!), Photoshop crashes when I attempt to use a simple function such as apply a Smart Sharpen filter.  Photoshop says I do not have the most current video drivers installed.  I can't justify the price of a $1700+ computer that can't run basic Photoshop functions.

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

hi

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-x360-14-convertible-pc-14-ea1000/2100800...

It seems quite curious, because normally the drivers must work whether it is the pro version or not..
you have this problem with all drivers, or only some, what are the error messages?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

There apparently differences in the Home & Pro versions?  Until the support agent realized I had upgraded, we were stumped why the dates on the drivers on hp.com were newer than what I had in Device Manager.

• In some cases, the driver version matched  but the dates didn't
  • In other cases the numbering sequences seemed from totally different systems (which I believe is because I have generic Windows drivers vs the customized ones offered on hp.com?)
  • In others it was the almost-expected earlier date and lower version number  on my system

In all cases using the HP utility, hp.com would download the driver update files & they would unexpectedly terminate after extraction. They would be flagged with "Reinstall," and even after clicking to reinstall, it returned the same "Reinstall" status. 

I rebooted and re-ran the hp.com utility to scan my device and the same six updates would appear as available, so clearly they were not installed.  (Two of the are flagged as Critical Updates.)   When I go to the downloaded .exe files in Win11 File Explorer and click on them, nothing happens.)

So, I accepted the Support agent's explanation that the drivers offered on hp.com for Win11 Home users were not compatible with Win11 Pro.  Were they incorrect and there's some other reason the hp.com files won't work on my system?  Or, is there some way to configure things so that I can download Win11 Pro drivers/software?

I have run Windows Update and it doesn't report any new drivers.

Not that it should matter, but my HP Spectre X360 14 config is:

• i7-1195G7
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 1TB SSD with Optane
  • 3K x 2K OLED display
HP Recommended

Here is what is shown when hp.com scans my device:

wpcoe_1-1642957471278.png

Clicking "Select all"  and "Download selected files" leads to:

wpcoe_2-1642957870628.png

...and after a reboot it starts with the first image again, indicating the six drivers still need updating.

HP Recommended

don't mind device drivers dates
what matters is the version
do not try automatic installation of several drivers at the same time!
download the necessary drivers, best one by one
check version from device manager, if hp driver is older or same, ignore
go to next driver
some may just not match the material, even if it's a model's support page
Personally I installed windows 11 and apart from the graphics driver, they are all from my windows 10 version, and that's not a problem

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

>>"do not try automatic installation of several drivers at the same time!"<<

You say that like it's a bad thing. 😁  I was only taking a cue from HP when it gave the option to install all of the drivers (and it does so "at the same time", although technically it steps through them one by one.)

wpcoe_1-1642967276482.png

I'm pretty much assuming that my Spectre X360 14 is actually up to date but pointing out that the results of the "Software and Driver Downloads" scan, while well-intentioned, are really not useful for the end user.

My original problem, though, remains unresolved.  Why does Photoshop not work correctly on this (somewhat) state-of-the-art computer.  I suspect that if I were to escalate this to both HP and Adobe, fingers would point squarely at the other party.  <sigh...>

HP Recommended

In order to test, to be certain, I do not recommend automatic systems, no matter how well it works.
manual download, save to folder, then manual install
that's all i'm saying!
Sorry, I can't take up one by one the questions listed, in an image
but quickly, it's up to date, obviously

As for Photoshop...
I don't use it but I know it's quite complex
And I can't guess what exactly his problem is..
Have you checked what they say about compatibility with windows 11?
Patches, have they been applied, are they at least available?
Often with this type of program an error report can be created, this allows the developer to tell you what the problem may be.
You should inquire

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Thanks again for your help.

Out of the maybe two dozen Photoshop crashes, I've opted to send a report to Adobe (including the field to include my e-mail address) maybe three or four times.  A couple times I bothered to detail the issue in the optional comments field.  I also sent reports without my e-mail/comments a few times.

Photoshop (and apparently we're in agreement that my Spectre's drivers) are all up to date.

I tend to view Adobe like I view Apple:  a large, successful, arrogant business, so expect no feedback, much less a prompt solution.  Sure hope I'm wrong!

It could be an Intel CPU issue as well, but as I think I said earlier, I predict Intel & Apple would simply point their finger at the other.

I live in Merida, Mexico, and had flown to NYC for two days specifically to buy a computer.  I'm now seriously considering flying back to NYC  to return the Spectre.  I probably would by a MS Surface Pro 8, but I'm actually considering buying a Macbook of some flavor, since apparently, "they just work."

HP Recommended

You're welcome
I would have thought the opposite, they seemed serious to me...
Not given their software either
It is clear that in the event of a problem, everyone blames the other!

My wife used it for a few years, without too much problem it seems to me, with an old model of computer, I know it was slowing down a bit sometimes, but, apart from that!
It is not I who will try to dissuade you!
but I can advise you to check which configurations work well with the version you have
I could try to find a solution to your problem, but it might be a waste of time, I can't guarantee to find it.
And time you don't have if you decide to return it

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

There are many graphical issues with WIN11 and before the new WIN11 (SV2) I don't expect any bugfixes.

But try this:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html?wapkw...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.