Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP G62
Microsoft Windows Server 2003

I have had my G62 for aeveral years running Win 7. I tried on several occasions to use the auotomatic upgrade to Win 10 by clicking on the in the bottom tool bar, it just would never work and always restored my Win 7 !

I then created a USB Win 10 and did a clean install which worked. However it is not activated, When I try using my Win 7 Product key it gives an error 0x80041204. I contacted Microsoft Support and they say that the key is blocked and because it is an OEM Win 7, I must contact the Supplier.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That's because Belarc advisor generally only reports what it finds in the registry -- and it worked for me because, at the time, I was still running Win7, with the original product key still in the registry.

For future use, please bookmark this tool for finding OEM product keys:  Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Operating system is Windows 10 not Server 2003

HP Recommended

WarrenSA

Wish I had good news for you, but I don't!

I ran into much the same situation when I was unable to do an in-place Upgrade to Win10 on my HP DV6 laptop.

So, I made a record of the product key -- which I got by running Belarc Advisor -- and then did a clean-install from media I created.  And, like yours, mine would not activate using the key.  Called MS and they gave me the same runaround.

Then, I went to the community Win10 forums and found this thread: Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

I restored my PC back to Win7 using an image backup I had made, did the steps to generate the genuineticket.xml file, did the clean-install "upgrade" again -- and was able to activate it using the file I made.

I don't think you can make that file now that you have Upgraded -- but you should check on the Win10 forums (where that link came from) to see what they say about this, there may be a way around it.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

HP Recommended

In my case it seems that Belarc Advisor caused the problem!

I had run Belarc Advisor before I did the clean install and used the Product key for Microsoft - Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) that it showed. On contacting Microsoft and being told that the key was blocked because it had been used too many times, I thought it may have been pirated. In desparation I remembered that sometimes manafactures have a genuine MS label on the bottom of the laptops so i turned mine over and sure enough there was a product key.

I tried it an it was accepted. Yet no where on the Belarc Advisor report did that key appear!!!!!!!!

Problem solved I am now up and runnining on an activated Win 10 system

HP Recommended

That's because Belarc advisor generally only reports what it finds in the registry -- and it worked for me because, at the time, I was still running Win7, with the original product key still in the registry.

For future use, please bookmark this tool for finding OEM product keys:  Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

Good Luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.