Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13-aw0054na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm still on the 1909  version of windows, despite my laptop being on the tested devices list.

I've run through the recommendations for "Fix Windows 10 Update issues" but it makes no difference, i continually see "The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. Once it’s ready for your device, you’ll see the update available on this page."

This doesn't feel right for a top-of-the-line product from a manufacturer like HP, and i'm loathed to run the update manually incase I brick my laptop, which due to COVID-19, i'm using for working from home so I really need it to be, well, working.

Any help /suggestions you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@EvilMrBen

Welcome to the HP support community.

No need to update right now, wait for some more days.  2004 is the latest one. There are no particular drivers available now. If you wish to install the new update. Install it. the 1909 driver may work. here is the link:-Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy

I'm not going to click "accept as solution" - its mid August and the 2004 release came out in May, a whole 3 months ago. 

This is supposed to be a premium grade laptop, certainly going by the cost, and as such i'd expect it to be kept up to date with the latest releases of the Operating System.

A colleague of mine has an almost identically specification Pavillon, it doesn't have the OLED screen 1TB SSD or Optane but it does have the 1065G7 and 16GB RAM, and that's been on 2004 for a while now - and cost about £1000 less than the Spectre!!

I can accept that its a driver issue, but why isn't there some form of timeframe for when it will be available?

If this is because of Optane drive i'll be really annoyed - i'm not convinced that that was worth the money at all - the Optane Service causes the CPU and fans to go into overdrive so i've ended up having to disable it!!!

HP Recommended

@EvilMrBen

Windows updates are from Microsoft and HP has no control over it.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am also facing similar problem and came to the forum to find a solution. Unfortunately, this is not working in my case too. But I understand that these updates are from Microsoft and not from HP. I wonder if we can actually get real help here.

HP Recommended

It's true that manufacturers and retailers don't have control over Windows updates (Microsoft is a law unto itself!). Before you rush into anything, it might be useful to know that the May release of Windows 10 2004 had a lot of errors that caused problems in some systems (from slight slowdowns to inability to boot at all), and I read somewhere that they released a second, improved one at the end of July.

I've searched quite a lot around the subject, as the new laptop I first turned on in June (another well-built HP model) was one of the ones affected by the first update (I'm still getting my head round the recovery options). I should add that I haven't double-checked much of what I've read, as the subject isn't well publicised, for instance the clearest description of it I've found so far was in a German user's blog. (And I don't see computer magazines in my district, but imagine any articles on it for them would still be awaiting publication).

For all I know so far, Microsoft may have pulled the first version. It wouldn't be the first time; while trying to find out how best to update the build preinstalled in the laptop nearly two years ago (not HP's fault - it had been on display in a shop), I found it had been a very rushed release causing similar problems, and had been pulled after 4 days! (Mark II was released a month or so later).

At least your recent build means Microsoft won't be updating your computer to 2004 by force, like it did mine (one user lost years of photos because it interrupted a backup of them). And I gather the 1909 and 1903 versions are still considered stable ones.

I've now learned that Microsoft has extended the service life of my old first version, too late for most of us but the reason may be relevant. It dawned on them that getting everyone in a company on the same new Windows version, preferably at the same time, could be a little difficult at the moment with so many working from home (with accordingly varying ISPs, connection speeds, computers if employees' own, anti-Covid measures and sometimes time zones). (But I expect you're already aware of that, if it applies).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.