Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (162 Views)

Windows 10 Update crashed machine

Product Name: G1V01UA#ABA
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My wife had auto windows updates on, I guess Win10 did some update, now we cannot get the machine to start.

I have read all that I can about making the machine boot from a USB (which I created a WIn10 boot/repair USB.

I have disabled secure boot, tried with/without legacy support and all of the combinations,

the UEFI boot order looks like this...

USB Diskette on key/USB Hard Disk

USB CD/DVD Rom Drive

Intenal CD/DVD Rom Drive

OS Boot Manager 

!  Network Adapter

The Legacy Boot Order is...

USB Diskette on key/USB Hard Disk

USB CD/DVD Rom Drive

Intenal CD/DVD Rom Drive

Notebook Hard Drive 

!  Network Adapter

When the machine starts I get into the bios, use F9 and select (I have tried both)

USB Hard Drive (UEFI) - PNY USB 2.0 FD

USB Hard Drive - PNY   USB2.0 FD

The first option brings up the HP logo, the little circles rotate for a bit then the screen goes black and nothing

The second option brings up a windows logo and after a second, the screen goes black and nothing

I have went as far as letting the machine sit over night and it never gets any further. I have success booting to teh USB drive in another HP Laptop, so I assume that the USB is configured correctly.

I cannot believe all this has happened, how can a wondows update totaly brick your machine! I hope someone can please help...

Thank You

Leslie

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 5 (148 Views)

Re: Windows 10 Update crashed machine

From the posts I see evidently WU can indeed cause a failure- especially if the hard drive is 2-3 years old. It seems the stress of huge updates is enough to finish off a hdd that may already have been feelings it's age. A faulty hdd can cause a no-boot even from bootable media in some cases.

Is the hdd detected in BIOS? Not always indicative that it is actually still functioning but a good place to start. If you have Diagnostics in BIOS test the hdd if it is detected. Or use F2 at power on to use System Diagnostics.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
Provost
Message 3 of 5 (147 Views)

The HP 15 is not the easiest to get to the hdd but the Maintenance Manual is on your Support page:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-d000-notebook-pc-series/6529963/model/6841407/manuals?sku...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
Honor Student
Message 4 of 5 (137 Views)

I thought when I ran quick diagnostics it found it and said it was okay...I will run the intensive diagnostics and report back

Thank You

I had a thought...is the USB 2.0 compatible with this machine? Maybe that is why the usb is not able to be read from...

It must start to read it, as the Windows logo comes up instead of the HP logo

Honor Student
Message 5 of 5 (128 Views)

Hard drive failed the short DST test...I guess the HD is dead...

Will the machine accept a solid state SATA drive that is the right size? Also, how can I get the original license number for Windows? There is no serial number on the machine and the paperwork is long gone...

Leslie

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation