Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Tutor
Message 1 of 75 (133,270 Views)

Windows 10 Upgrade Screen Flickering Problem

Product Name: HP Envy 17t Quad TouchSmart
Operating System: Other

I have an HP Envy TouchSmart 17t-j100 Quad Edition CTO Notebook PC.  I was running Windows 8.1, but just last night accepted the free upgrade to Windows 10.

The upgrade itself seemed to succeed, but once I login and get to the desktop, my screen starts flickering constantly.  I can move the mouse around, but clicking on menus / apps does not work, as the screen flickering prevents any actions.  I can use Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up the menu that allows me to sign out, restart/shutdown, etc . . . but I can't really do anything else.

I downloaded the upgrade over the internet, so I do not have any Windows 10 disks or installers.

I've seen on Google that some Win10 beta testers  were experiencing this problem  months ago on pre-release versions of Windows 10, but i didn't see a resolution.

I'm not sure how to get into safe mode to see if the problem happens there too.

Anyone else having this problem?  Any suggestions?  

The PC is pretty much useless in its current condition with the flickering problem.

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 75 (133,243 Views)

Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Screen Flickering Problem

Hi,

I've got a 5 years old laptop and last night Windows 10 updated video driver for it. Please try

1. Go to Device Manager,

2. Expand Display Adapter,

3. Right click NVIDIA adapter and select Properties,

4. Click Driver tab,

5. Select Update driver

It took more than 5 mins to find driver for my machine; but for yours, much quicker because the card is newer.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
Message 3 of 75 (133,234 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, when I'm in the desktop i have no ability to do anything other than move my mouse around.  I cannot select Device Manager, or open the Start Menu, or open any applications.

Maybe "flickering" isn't the right word . . . I think it may actually be Windows Explorer repeatedly crashing and restarting, literally every second.  So no operations from the desktop are possible.

Regards,

Jim

Student
Message 4 of 75 (133,198 Views)

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same exact thing. Have you found anything that had worked?

Tutor
Message 5 of 75 (133,164 Views)

I am experiencing the same issue and trying system recovery. This is such a bad upgrade. How would I go back to Windows 8.1?
Top Student
Message 6 of 75 (132,883 Views)

Hi, I found what is causing the problem. It's the finger print sensor.

Go into safe mode, (hard turn off and on a few times), disable Validity Sensors under Device Manager and reboot.

Tutor
Message 7 of 75 (132,867 Views)

[ Edited ]

I performed a system restore to the point when I first installed the Windows 10. From previous searches on Google, it appears that it was a video card conflict with a Nvidia update. Windows update forced a Nvidia update after installation, but it was incompatible with Windows 10. After restoring, the working Nvidia update was downloaded and installed. Not sure if this is exactly the case. But laptop is working perfectly fine now.

Top Student
Message 8 of 75 (132,865 Views)

I can't even get mine do do the hard start. It just flickers when the computer is on. When I press the power button, it goes off. I have tried restarting, taking out the battery and cursing. Nothing has worked. Ideas? 

Thanks!

Top Student
Message 9 of 75 (132,863 Views)

How do you get to the ability to do a system restore when nothing except Cont-Alt-Del does anything at all? I can essentially turn my computer on and off and go to the Task Manager.

Top Student
Message 10 of 75 (132,842 Views)

How do I perform a system restore when even taking out the battery did nothing to help the problem? Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation