Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question
Windows 10 Upgrade Screen Flickering Problem
Replies (74)

Honor Student
Message 11 of 75 (39,198 Views)

Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Screen Flickering Problem

Had the same problem yesterday and today - dowloaded the free Windows 10 upgrade onto my HP envy 17 but got nothing but  photo-sensitive epilepsy from the constant flickering. What I did first was to roll back to Windows 8.1 Then I uninstalled iCloud and disabled the fingerprint swipe. But most important, I think, was upgrading the graphics driver.

HOWEVER, just doing it via windows device manager didn't work - I ended up going from a driver from August 2013 to one from October 2013. I went on the NVIDIA site and let them search for my graphics card, and then used their software to install the latest driver (from end-July 2015). Reinstalled Windows 10 and it works fine now. Might try re-installing iCloud, but don't really use it so might let it die. But make sure you've got the latest build on your graphics driver.

Honor Student
Message 12 of 75 (39,102 Views)

As for doing a rollback to 8/8.1 when the only thing that comes up is task manager, you press shift when you click restart, and it should give you the troubleshooting menu. You can choose to rollback under there. It's kind of a saving grace - look at this page, it has some more on it: https://techingiteasy.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/how-to-rollback-to-a-previous-version-of-windows-from...

Intern
Message 13 of 75 (39,081 Views)

Had the same experience with the installation program picking a graphics driver that wasn't compatible with my notebook, even though it was an approved Microsoft driver for Windows 10. My Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver is a custom HP driver and still appears to need more work by HP in order for it to work. But as to screen flickering, that is only the beginning. In time the machine will totally freeze and require restoration of the previous OS. IT'S ONLY AVAILABLE AS AN OPTION FOR 28 DAYS AFTER THE WIN 10 UPGRADE.

Intern
Message 14 of 75 (39,073 Views)

You must boot into safe mode in order to begin the roll back and you only have 28 days to do it. If you haven't done this before, it requires some practice. This is how it's done: first shut down your PC; then turn it back on while simultaneously tapping the f8 key. You have to be quick and you must start tapping right as the flickering dash starts in the upper left corner of the screen. Once you're in safe mode, I suggest that you get on the phone with Microsoft tech support and let them walk you thru the process of going back to the previous build of your OS. Their hours begin at 9 AM PT and the phone number is 800-642-7676. Investing an hour of waiting time is a necessary step if you want to get it done. After you get back to your old OS, use the HP support sit find upgrades for all your drivers. Then wait to see if where you end up is good enough for the Win 10 upgrade. You'll have to keep checking back in the days to come for additional updates of the HP drivers on your machine.

Student
Message 15 of 75 (38,782 Views)

I have the same problem.  My computer is UNUSABLE since the Windows 10 install!  Can't believe Microsoft isn't plastering the web with SOLUTIONS.  HELP!

Intern
Message 16 of 75 (38,732 Views)

[ Edited ]

Deb, please see the 2 posts right above. Your PC is in fact usable, you simply have to roll back to your previous Windows build. Don't waste time -- the 28 day period is running. If you can't follow the steps, then find someone who can. It's cheaper than buying a new PC and, in time, you'll be able to upgrade.

Tutor
Message 17 of 75 (38,697 Views)

I'm the original poster . . . thanks to all for all the suggestions.  Just a quick update:

I was able to successfully restore my laptop to Windows 8.1 by using the "Go back to the previous build" option.  To get there, I booted up to the login screen, then clicked on the power icon in the lower right corner, and then held down the Shift key while clicking "restart".

This presented me with a series of options.  I chose "Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Go Back to previous build".

I have not yet tried to reinstall Windows 10 (I'll fight that battle another day), but for now my Windows 8.1 installation seems to be working perfectly, and all my data and applications are still here just like before the Win10 upgrade.

Thanks!
Jim

Student
Message 18 of 75 (38,663 Views)

Log off, reboot and hold down the shift and X keys simultaneously. That will take you to the safe boot screen, where you can roll back to your previous installation (I had the same issue and went back to my original Windows 7 build). Then wait a month or so until Microsoft sorts out the glitch! Good luck

Honor Student
Message 19 of 75 (38,153 Views)

I had the same issue; expolorer.exe crashes, restart, crashes again,etc.

I succesfully downgrade fron windows 10 to windows 8.1 but the problem persist.

Solution to me: I restarted in "safe mode" (you press shift when you click Restart at the Log In screen, and it should give you the troubleshooting menu), then go to Control Panel and uninstal Norton Antivirus.

PD: sorry if something is not well writen, English is not my mother language. 

Honor Student
Message 20 of 75 (38,045 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello, 

I had the same problem. But my video card is AMD on an HP Envy... I did the update driver and now I will try again to install the Win 10. 

First, you need to go back to your previous build from window which will bring you back to the lates working version of windows you had (either 7 or 8.1). For that to happen, you need to do the steps one by one:

1- Start your PC

2- When they ask for your password (if you have one), clic SHIFT on your keybord and select RESTART from the power menu button (bottom right). DO NOT ENTER YOUR PASSWORD!

2- When your PC restart, you will see a blue screen. Select TROUBLESHOOT.

3- Clic ADVANCED OPTIONS

4- Clic SYSTEM RESTORE

5- The option will be in there. You have to check, it should say GO BACK TO ORIGINAL BUILD. 

Unfortunately, I don't remember even tho I did it yesterday. Glad I was back to Win 8.1!  

I will do it again tonight, so I'll get back to give you the right steps. But people here already describe it I believe. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation