Post new question
Question
Windows 10 Upgrade Screen Flickering Problem
Replies (74)

Top Student
Message 21 of 75 (10,051 Views)

Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Screen Flickering Problem

After the go back to previous build I see restarting in the blue screen but is taking a long time and nothing else happens. How long does it takes for restart? I had windows 7 previously, thanks
Intern
Message 22 of 75 (10,016 Views)

[ Edited ]

I encountered the same problem and let that new blue screen go on for about 4 hours. The solution is to reboot again and you will see a different menu that allows you to go back. That process will take less than an hour. Once back to Windows 7, there are a few tweaks needed to restore all your previous settings. This is a good time to update your drivers from the HP support site. You'll be amazed how much faster your PC will be.

Student
Message 23 of 75 (10,005 Views)

Thank you so very much for the information.  It was a mystery to me how I would get back to the previous rebuild so your post was a great help! Thanks again!

Top Student
Message 24 of 75 (9,993 Views)

Thanks I will let it run overnight and will reboot in the morning will let you all known the results you are a great help
Student
Message 25 of 75 (9,871 Views)

I also updated my Windows a few days ago and have the same problem - after a restart the screen is flickering and I'm unable to do any action.

SOLUTION 1: (for HP-G62/72 series)

For me the problem was solved by unplugging the notebook's power cable and to start the system without it. Once Windows has finished booting and the login screen appears the power cable can be plugged in again. 

The G62 series uses two GPUs, I guess that the flickering screen is caused by any defective GPU driver - the notebook changes the GPUs to increase the battery life (depending on the energie settings). So when the notebook starts without cable it uses the Intel GPU - when it starts with power cable it uses the AMD GPU - so the problem would be caused by the AMD device.

I'm not sure about that at all but to me this sounds quite logic...

Top Student
Message 26 of 75 (9,793 Views)

Laptop working fine again, you do have to turn it off and reboot thanks for all the guidance
Honor Student
Message 27 of 75 (9,577 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hmm.  Thursday I get my fingerprint scanner back up.  Friday my screen is flickering.  I disable the Validity Sensors.  Screen quits flickering.  Coincidence? I think not!   Smiley LOL  Good catch.  Thanks for sharing.  

I should have known better! There's a reason you should never upgrade Windows till Service Pack 1.   What gets me is how many ways HP and Microsoft have to break things.   For some people, it's the fingerprint scanner; for others it's the video card.  

Intern
Message 28 of 75 (9,555 Views)

When something like this happens, one goes from feeling singled out to concluding that it's planned obsolescence. Th e wonderful thing about this upgrade is how revealing it is. There are many outdated drivers out there that should have been updated by their creators long ago.

Top Student
Message 29 of 75 (9,210 Views)

I can get to the "go back to previous build screen", but then it says :"Choose an account to continue". At this point, my mouse doesn't work and even though my account is ticked even the enter key doesn't do anything.

Honor Student
Message 30 of 75 (9,091 Views)

If you made a recovery usb drive when you set up the laptop originally, just reboot the machine with it in the port and hit the apropriate keys to launch the system restore utility. It will give you the options to do factory reset. I believe I had to hit some combination of the Esc and the f10 keys to get into mine. Once I did that I was able to get 8.1 back. (You will lose any information on the machine though so I hope you have it backed up somewhere else).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation