Tutor
8 0 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10 update failing on 32Gb Stream 13 because of disk space

Stream 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have Windows 10 loaded on my 32Gb Stream 13 and there is an OS update waiting to be installed.  When I try to do the installation I get an error message saying that there is not enough disk space to do the install.  I get an option to use an external disk to allow the install to proceed.  I have a 64Gb microSD card installed and I also tried using an external usb hard disk, but I still get an error message saying I don't have enough space on the C drive.

I've tried to get rid of files and programs that I don't need, but I still can't free up much disk space.  I've also tried to identify  Windows 10 files that aren't really needed but I haven't been able to figure out what's safe to get rid of.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for how to get the Windows 10 update to complete?

6 REPLIES
sixtywhiskers Tutor
Tutor
16 0 4
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same issue here. Nighteen and a half gigs used out of twenty available on the SSD. In order to update to V. 1511, 10586 it requires a min of 5 GB. I have no apps installed and no additioanl programs. Heck, i cant evern install offcice 365 which i pay for. What do we have to do to install the update?

Inquiring , and frustrated minds, would like to know.

It is a nice laptop but it is really terrible that with the updates it takes up most of the SSD drive space.

To the great all knowing HP gurus Please provide solution.

Thanks

sixtywhiskers Tutor
Tutor
16 0 4
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok.

I fixed the issue i had. I hope this helps you.

After some research, on another PC I downloaded the Windows media creation tool and ran it.

First It prompted for the language and either the 32 or 64 bit verson. Next....asking weather it is for this pc or another pc, and clicked the radio button for another pc. Next....Select where to download windows 10. I connected a 16GB usb stick. Next....Wait, wait wait. Done!

I unplugged the HDMI monior and removed the SD card from the stream 13.

I unpluged the new windows 10 usb and .....

Then plugged  into the laptop....

Then Action Center>Settings>Update and securtiy>Recovery>Advanced startup-restart now Selected boot from usb and followed the promts. Now here is where it got interesting..... Select drive where to install Windows 10. There were 5 partitions. No, I cannot explain why. Soooo I just started deleting partitions except for two. The two that you cant. Then I created a new patrition. Next......and off it went. Installing windows 10. It took a bit. Once i entered my account info into windows, I was back. A version check Run>winver and boom!, The latest and greatest was installed-1511/10586.29.  At first it was missing some drivers. Video/graphics/PCI but is slowly started catching up. At last check the install had used only 14.2 GB out of the 20 Gigs available. Mucho Better!. I can breather again. Wow, I can actually load stuff again. I'll see if I can figure out why the partitions kept reproducing......Can't leave them alone in a dark place I guess :)

Now I was careful not to downlod any of the stuff HP wants you to have. All that HP care stuff/ utility programs just takes up room which is at a premium on this notebook. 

I hope this helps.

Cheers to all! Have safe and great new year!

Geocachenut Top Student
Top Student
1 0 2
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

And the sad part is that once we finally figure it out, the laptop os still basically useless because it uses all 32 gigs to just have a system.  Wish I would've thought before I was sold this at Best Buy...

biilp1937 Tutor
Tutor
13 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

0 Kudos
biilp1937 Tutor
Tutor
13 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp stream 13 has LOTS of program memory ... if you use the william harris payne/Javeen Kumar FIX.

556gb.JPG

Office Depot $129.94 hp stream 13 running 10 1607.  :)

0 Kudos
CanogaGirl Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

And what is the William Harris Payne/Javeen Kumar fix?

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation