Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

What does the error code (0x800f0831) mean? My updates won't work even after restarting a number of times.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Christopher36 

Please use the following Microsoft article to fix

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/mem/configmgr/error-0x800f0831-installing-update

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I have a similar error code for windows update. The error code I keep getting is 0x800f0805. Has to do with important security and quality fixes. I have tried various trouble shooting options and nothing is working to repair the issue.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Your problem description is very poor! You do not mention if you can boot into windows.

error code (0x800f0831) means that you have some corrupted files in the WinSxS folder. 

You get a big error logfile > 100 MB and you will not be able to fix it.

So run these commands in cmd (admin)

DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Probable this will not fix the problem.

Then go to MS and download the "Media Creation Tool" (MCT) and prepair a USB-Stick.

When ready connect the MCT-Stick to the computer with the problem.

Run the setup.exe from the Windows environment. This is called an "Inplacement" and you will not loose any data from the system.

Good luck 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.