Post new question
Top Student
Message 1 of 3 (194 Views)

Windows doesn't load on the HP Stream Laptop

Product Name: HP Stream Notebook
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

After I enter my password for Windows the screen goes black. I've tried everything I could find on the forums to resolve this problem with no success. Here are some of the things I did:

1) Turned the power button off holding it down for 15 seconds. Immediately after powering it up I pressed the F11 button repeatedly. I got a Recovery message on a light blue screen. It said the following between the stars lines

Your PC needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Eror code: 0xc0000225

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media (like a DIsc or USB device)  If you don't have these contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer

Press ENTER to try again

Press F8 for Startup Settings

Press Esc for UEFI Firmware settings

I am my own system administrator. I did everything with no success. I contacted HP. The total cost for a year of unlimited support was $214, paid with an initial fee of $49.99 and a monthly fee of $14.99. Early cancellation was $70. A one time support fee was $99. None of these appealed to me as the laptop cost me $199 new. It would be cheaper to throw this away and get a new one.

Can someone tell me if there is an alternative process to solve my problem. If not I will ditch this computer and pay more for a refurbished Mac. I am sending this report using my trusty circa 2007 MacBook Pro. 

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Message 2 of 3 (177 Views)

Re: Windows doesn't load on the HP Stream Laptop

Hi, if you did not create a recovery USB, you can order one from HP.  This is Windows 8.1 not Windows 10? 

You might also try booting into safe mode described here.

Top Student
Message 3 of 3 (171 Views)

Re: Windows doesn't load on the HP Stream Laptop

I have Windows 8. I tried this technique and I get into the log in page. After I log in the screen goes black with just the cursur on it. I can move the cursor around but niothing else happens. Can you tell me how to get HP to send me the boot up USB drive? My warrantee expired less than a month ago. I found out they charge $99 for a one time assistance to get the PC working. And that service lasts for only 14 days. For longer service it ends up costing $214 a year, 

I am very frustrated with HP expecially as I have now found out there are loads of users with the same black screen problem. The fix they suggest like it should work doesn't. I don't think I will every buy an HP computer again. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation