cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
3 1 1 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Windows vista home Basic compaq presario cq60 to new os on 500 gb harddrive

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows Vista
I have a Compaq Presario cq60. It is a Windows Vista Home basic Edition and the system was tempted to do a factory reset. In the process files were deleted there was no recovery disk created. I purchased by mistake a Windows Vista ultimate where the product key upgrade. I have an extra hard drive which is 500gb vs. 250 Gigabyte. Do I still need to buy a new Windows Vista basic home edition install disc in order to upgrade the system to the latest operating system? How do I go about repairing this system to operable conditions?
2 REPLIES 2
Level 15
Level 15
9,750 9,658 782 3,636
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Jbg32573

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

Windows Vista is old operating system which is no longer supported by the vendor (Microsoft).

Windows Vista is no longer being sold via the standard channels and it's hardware to find.

I wouldn't recommend you use it because it is not updating and might be vulnerable to security risks. Many 3rd party vendors (including browsers) do not run or support it.

Windows 10 is the latest Windows offering from Microsoft. I cannot guarantee it will be able to run on your ~old PC but you may give it a try - Microsoft offers 90 day free evaluation copy >> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/try

All that is needed from you is to register with Microsoft account, download the Windows ISO image and burn it on a blank DVD or write it on a USB.

Here is an example  (example is with Ubuntu but works the same way with Windows ISO)

* How to create bootable ISO on USB device >> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

or

* How to write ISO to DVD >> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/burn-a-dvd-on-windows

Eventually, you need to boot the PC from Windows 10

When ready with the USB drive or with the DVD:

Please, shutdown the computer using the power button.

Insert the Windows USB thumdrive prepared previously

Power on the PC.

As soon as you press the power-on button, start hitting the Esc button repeatedly (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu

Choose F9 to open Boot options. Select the USB thumb drive as a boot option.

- Follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows 10. Perform clean installation/custom installation (not repair).

Delete all existing partitions and install Windows on Disc 0 Unallocated space

- Post-installation, ensure your drivers are updates using the Device Manager method -> https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03330139

Update all major componets and run Windows Update.

- Make sure Windows is Activated by going to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Activation

- You may wish to stop some of the Windows Telemetry by using free tools such as Spybot AntiBeacon or DWS Lite

You can test for about 90 days before you decide if you want to purchase a license and installation media, and reinstall a full version of Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro edition.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes

** I am an HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** My location: Europe *** HP Expert - Volunteer
** Click below on Accept As Solution and ThumbUp+ buttons if my comments helped or to say thanks.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
43,129 42,918 6,871 12,040
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did the Vista Ultimate disk come with its own Key Code? If so you can install it without first installing Home Basic. To use the Key Code on the bottom of the laptop assuming you can still read it you need an OEM copy of Vista Home Basic which you cannot download from Microsoft. 

You say you want to upgrade the latest? Perhaps not the best idea. Windows 7 is probably as high as you should try to go with that computer. 

To repair the system you have we would need to know a bit more about what is wrong with it. What does it say if you try to boot the computer up?

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation