Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The Windows 7 Product key on the sticker on the bottom of my laptop is worn and not readable.  The HDD crashed and I need to install a new one.  I can't boot from the existing HDD - but I can recover files from the drive using Recuva.  Is there a way I can get the product key from a recovered file?  Can I use the HP model and serial number to find the OEM Product key  somewhere?  I will need it  when I install the new drive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately there is no way to obtain a replacement product key or to recover the key from the HDD.

Even if you could, you would not be able to use it to activate the windows installation.

Your only option short of buying a new full version operating system (OEM or Retail) is to order a set of recovery disks for your PC if they are still available.

As far as I know, a product key is not necessary when using the HP factory recovery disks.  I have never had to enter a product key when using them.

Please look at the recovery disk ordering guide at the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00810334

Paul

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately there is no way to obtain a replacement product key or to recover the key from the HDD.

Even if you could, you would not be able to use it to activate the windows installation.

Your only option short of buying a new full version operating system (OEM or Retail) is to order a set of recovery disks for your PC if they are still available.

As far as I know, a product key is not necessary when using the HP factory recovery disks.  I have never had to enter a product key when using them.

Please look at the recovery disk ordering guide at the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00810334

Paul

HP Recommended

Did not like the other sites so I removed them from my post.

Found it at CNET.com.

http://download.cnet.com/PCWin-Recovery-w-Windows-Password-Reset/3000-18501_4-75312674.html?part=dl-...

Tested on XP and it worked great.

Found XP and Office product keys.

The disc you create  will also change your login passwords.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Thanks, you were right, with the HP recovery disks I did not need the Product Key as you suggested.  To be safe, when I restored the system I found and recorded the product key in the event I need it in the future.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad to read you are back up and running after using the recovery disks.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi.  You mentioned that when you restored the system, you found and recorded the product key and you recorded it.  Does this mean that you found it written down somewhere or you found it electronically on the restore discs?

I want to do a complete restore on my laptop but I cannot locate the written copy of my product key that I recorded and the sticker is too worn to read.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Windows 7 is an OS (Operating System) of Microsoft, Which is very popular in all over the world. It is used for windows 7 key home and office PCs & Notebooks. Microsoft Provides its legal copy (Genuine Registered Version) with its Genuine Product Key for any user to install its registration. Its cost is almost $150, Which you know, is not affordable for Us.
You can get a new product key of windows 7 for new system or laptop, - See more at: http://odosta.com/windows-7-product-key-sticker

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.