Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion - 15-ab252ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear all,

I bought this Pavilion notebook and installed Ubuntu 16.04 on it (in UEFI mode from the start).

Then I installed Win10 Prof x64 into the rest of its disk space (also in UEFI mode as second OS).

Then I found that I am unable to upgrade its BIOS by running http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79501-80000/sp79678.exe

I have another identical notebook on which I installed Win10 first, and on which sp79678.exe worked well and upgraded its BIOS.

Could anybody sugggest me a way to upgrade its BIOS without removing Linux (which would not be convenient as taking too much time) and doing clean Win10-only install on the entire hard drive?

This 15-ab200 series have pretty new BIOS which does not have Firmware Upgrade option in its System Diagnostics (which is entered into by F2 on the initial boot-up). So, the option to flash new BIOS through existing BIOS menu itself is excluded.

Also, I am unable to use 'Recovery USB' created by sp79678.exe either when I boot from it through F9, or when I plug it into powered-down notebook and power it up.

I compared partition structure on 1st and 2nd notebooks, and found that Win10-only setup has 'WinRE' partition (type 2700) which Ubuntu+Win10 does not have. I tried to copy this partition onto another system, also I tried to rearrange partition numbers to go in the same order (1:2700, 2:ef00, 3:0c01, 4:0700), then I moved Linux partition (number 5) up to the end of HDD, removed all Windows partitions and reinstalled Win10 "as-if on the empty HDD" - this created 2700 partition and the rest of them in proper order (identical to Win10-only setup) but this did not help in sp79678 either.

Could anybody please give me some directions on what to try next ?

I am gradually running out of ideas.

Thank you in advance for your replies

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.