Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Student
Message 1 of 2 (95 Views)

after HD replacement, our hp laptop has two windows activation keys, which are expiring soon

Product Name: hp pavilion 15-n243cl
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

HD recently replaced by "professionals" they installed new drive, reinstalled windows 10. had 8.1 originally. now after 4 months, computer message on start up, not through browser, that activation key is expiring, "pros" said that is impossible, but they were wrong, computer shows two windows activation keys, one for  "home" version and one for "pro" version, tried input each, both say invalid. "pros' gave up, " call support" 

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 2 (75 Views)

Re: after HD replacement, our hp laptop has two windows activation keys, which are expiring soon

@MARTIN042

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Don't know who these "professionals" were, but they should have known that your PC takes the HP OEM version of Win10.  So, if they replaced it with a Retail version, that could account for the two different activation scenarios.

If it were me (and since I volunteer here, I guess that makes me NOT a "professional"), I would have reinstalled the HP OEM version of Win8x on the new drive and then done the Upgrade to Win10 -- which is still Free, just no longer available through the Microsoft upgrade tool. That would have reused Win8.1 OEM key for activation, preventing the dual-activation scenario you have now.

Also, any "professional" should know that Win10 Home and Win10 Pro use different keys, and if your PC originally had Windows 8 basic edition, not Pro, then the Win10 Upgrade would have installed Home -- and you would have had to pay extra to upgrade that to Pro.

In addition, unlike with older versions of Windows, there is no "grace period" for Win10 -- which means that LEGITIMATE license DO NOT EXPIRE! So, if yours IS expiring, that implies these "pros" did not use a legal license to install Win10 on your drive.

And finally, HP provides no support for OS versions installed by third-parties.  So basically, HP is not going to provide you a copy of Win10 for your PC.

At this point, regardless of the version of Win8 you had preloaded, you are still entitled to a Free upgrade to Win10 Home.  To upgrade to Pro, you would have to buy an upgrade license.

To reinstall Win10 Home, you need to use this link to download and create Win10 installation media: Windows 10 download 

Once you have that, insert it into your PC (do NOT boot from it!), open the folder containing the media, find the setup.exe file, right-click on it and select Run as Adminstrator.  That will do a Repair-Install of Win10 Home -- overwriting the Win10 system files with those from the install media.

After that is all done, when you then connect to the Internet, your PC should activate without problems.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation