Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
older hp probook 6560b
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
I planned to donate old laptop. I did a secure erase. Since then, I cannot get laptop to start up/boot. It just stays on black page with the no boot device install operating system on your hard disk. (3forget)
I thought I saw an error that said media test failure too.
There's no option to click on to preform a hard
Reset.
I reset it all to default settings.
I have ran the tests n it passed.
I reseated the hard drive.
There's no option to click on for system recovery.
any advice?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

Then it is my opinion that you have wiped the system, or at least access to the system, and probably removed all the partition data and contents thereof.

So it is wiped securely, but it's usefulness to a novice is now questionable.

So if you are donating to an organisation I would expect they could install a new OS etc and all will be well.

If in doubt please ask.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi

What program or app did you use?

What level/extent of erase did you do?

If you erased the entire disk then may account for your current difficulties.

HP Recommended
Bios I believe.Im pretty sure I wiped everything out.
HP Recommended
I did the secure erase in bios.
HP Recommended

Hi

Then it is my opinion that you have wiped the system, or at least access to the system, and probably removed all the partition data and contents thereof.

So it is wiped securely, but it's usefulness to a novice is now questionable.

So if you are donating to an organisation I would expect they could install a new OS etc and all will be well.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Prego

HP Recommended
I did same exact thing. I can't see anywhere that hp can provide any recovery disks. I don't care about anything lost on laptop, I just want to get it working again. What are the best windows 7 reinstall, repair, recovery disks I can buy. Iv looked on e bay n amazon but Im unsure What to buy. Thanks in advance.
HP Recommended

Hi

This is what I would do, if you had donated the unit to me...

Sort out any BIOS issues download and create install BIOS

This package creates files that contain an image of the System BIOS (ROM) for the supported notebook models with a 68SCF or 68SCE family ROM. This package is used to flash the System ROM on support notebook.

This package includes several methods for updating the BIOS version as follows:

- Use the HPQFlash Utility to update the BIOS directly in a Microsoft Windows Operating System environment.
- Create a bootable USB Key to update the system BIOS.
- Use System Software Manager (SSM) to update the system BIOS on PCs in a network.

NOTE: To determine the ROM family and ROM date, press F10 on the notebook during startup to run the Setup Utility, and then view File/System Information.

Type:BIOS
Version:F.61 Rev.A(11 Jun 2015)
Operating System(s):
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit) | View all
File name:sp72496.exe (22 MB) 

Use a Linux to examine the HDD, while I have loads, for this task I would probably go with either Knoppix  or Gparted Live and use Gparted to check if there was any remnants of partition info that could be recovered.

In your case there may be the need to ask again if this is the case.

Next I would determine what would be a good OS Windows 7 or 8 (OpenSuse 13.2 or Leap 42.1)and decide on how/where to source/buy an OS.  Almost any old PC from anywhere if it has a OS disk, charity/recycling shop or whatever.

Which we should come back to, once the BIOS and HDD circumstances are known.

NB: Knoppix is a fully fledged OS for troubleshooting and even ultimately installing, give it serious consideration please.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.