Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I purchased a brand new hp all in one about 2 weeks ago.  In the middle of the night, NOT connected to the internet, my sign computer turns on and my sign in screen prompts me to open.  It will stay like that for hours until I get up and turn it off.  Why is this doing this and can I stop it?  I don't want to burn my screen out.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Welcome to the Forum.

Well, you need to say what kind of computer you have (exact model) and operating system.

Here are some general tips and comments - hopefully something here will help!

If the computer is Shut Down, that is turned OFF, it should not turn itself on

UNLESS

it is booting itself because it has "Wake-on-Lan" capability.

If the system is connected a Wake-on-Lan home NAS server network, that server may be kicking it awake - to do backups, perhaps.  If you do not know what that is, then you don't have it.  And, no, the internet would not have to be involved, only your home network, so the question is legitimate even if a bit far fetched.

IMO:

IF the computer is shut down and it's turning itself on and you cannot control it, I'd call HP and tell them about it. 

There aren't any good reasons for a new computer to turn itself on after being powered OFF. 

In fact, you might UNPLUG it until then - at least at night!

If the computer is only "Sleeping", that is - not "powered OFF", then it could wake up:

• When backups are scheduled to start (if you are running software that does this)
  • When system scans are scheduled to run (Anti-spyware software like Norton or Avast that protects your computer)
  • If the dog kicks the mouse - or the cat... or a little mouse ... Anything that moves the (computer) mouse might wake up a sleeping computer.  Turn off the mouse, or put it in a drawer.

What to do:

You can set the system (in the power settings) to turn itself back off after a few minutes.

You can certainly set it to dim and/or turn off the display after a few minutes - even if the computer stays on, the display will be off.

It's probably Windows 7, maybe it's similar to:

Control Panel --> Power Options --> Change Power Settings

Select how you want the computer to behave and select "Save Changes"

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Never had this problem until installed windows 10. Now in sleep or hibernate come down in morning and the pc is on.

Had same problem with laptop which turned on in night while on charge and got VERY HOT. This has ruined the battery.

Why does windows 10 behave so differently to windows 7. I regret installing windows 10 which has caused me no end of trouble. I have left it too late to revert using windows.old.

HP Recommended

I have a HP 14 chromebook and a tablet that are shut down at night. Despite this the printer turns on. The chromebook is an OS system does not have Windows. 

How is this happening? what can I do to stop it?  please contact me direct at [Personal Information Removed]

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.