Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
dv6-2155dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to do a recovery on a hp laptop.  f5 and f8 failed. The /recovery option failed so I formated the and shows nothing there but the allocted space shows 11.2 gigs used and 1.86 gigs not used.  I formated the windows drive.  Partitions on this harddrive are System, New Volume, Recover, and HP_Tools.  When I change file options to show hidden files there are still no files in recovery folder normally drive d on main computer but still empty when I hookup harddrive to usb.  The only files I can find on the d: is a shortcut to Local Disk (C) - Shortcut and Network - Shortcut

I formatted the main windows thinking I could reinstall with the f5 f8 option as I have done in the past but now have no options.  chkdsk on all partitions did nothing.  any help or ideas?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

Here is link to support page on performing recovery in Windows 10:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961

You could perform a clean install of the Windows 10 operating system by downloading the media creation tool on different PC, run the tool and create a bootable USB pendrive. You can then perform a clean install and delete all the unnecessary partitions. Windows 10 will be automatically activated as long as you install the same edition.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once intalled Windows will automatically install all drivers (perform and wait for updates to be installed).

Hope it helps,

David

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.