Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

The OS was competently wiped up.

How can I find my serial?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

It depends on the model. Normally there is a sticker on be device additional the license can be added by the manufacturer in the BIOS. On top of that Microsoft often save the license which is bound to a hardware in there online database. So if you install Windows 10 for example and has an working internet connection the info's can be fetched automatically from that database during the windows 10 installation.

--------
If the answer is helpful mark it with Kudos by clicking on the kudos button. If your problem is solved then mark it as solved. Thanks 🙂

P.S.
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@chhal 

As @BastianW already indicated, it depends on the OS version.  With Win10, a reinstall will reactivate after contacting the MS activation servers when you are online.

With Win8x, the license was embedded into the firmware of the motherboard, which you could then retrieve using the tool downloaded from this link, but you have to boot into an OS to do that:  https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/2577-showkeyplus.html

With Win7, unless you can read the sticker, you are out of luck as that was stored in the Registry, which was removed when you lost the OS.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.