Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp probook 6450b
Got a box of laptops from a friend and the one I'm trying to get going has me baffeled. Probook has a bios password and I've watch videos about mazzif so I downloaded it and put on USB stick but my problem is the password pops up when I go to change boor options. Driving me nuts. Please help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @pleaseneedhlp

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

Most business class notebooks (including yours Elitebook and Probook) have better security. Password cannot be reset via easy means or in the forum.

You will have to contact HP Support for assistance on removing the password.

Here is how >> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

>> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/business-support.html

HP Business support should be able to send you a customised SMC.bin file and instructions which you can use  to reset the password. Note that the assistance for BIOS pass reset issue should be free even if the warranty period has expired - level 1 agent will collect the details and will escalate to level 2 engineer. It may take a few days until you receive the specific file/instructions.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you face any issues.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @pleaseneedhlp

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

Most business class notebooks (including yours Elitebook and Probook) have better security. Password cannot be reset via easy means or in the forum.

You will have to contact HP Support for assistance on removing the password.

Here is how >> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

>> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/business-support.html

HP Business support should be able to send you a customised SMC.bin file and instructions which you can use  to reset the password. Note that the assistance for BIOS pass reset issue should be free even if the warranty period has expired - level 1 agent will collect the details and will escalate to level 2 engineer. It may take a few days until you receive the specific file/instructions.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you face any issues.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
I called the number and the said call a Toronto number to bring it in. That two hours in good weather travel. Horrible support...
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for posting back.

I have done this several times and it has always worked great for me.

Not sure if you called the legitimate support but the HP legitimate phone number for USA is  1 800 334 5144

You can also chat with HP using their website.

I suggest you review the above post and try again.  Thank you for your cooperation.

Please, let me know how it goes.

HP Recommended
I will try this now but I'm in Canada so I hope they'll still help. Will get back shortly and let you know
HP Recommended
Your awesome thanks there creating file now!!! Thanks again I will confirm when I follow steps
HP Recommended

You are welcome. Feel free to post again if you need assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.