Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp 14s fq1033no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings!

Earlier this week I purchased an hp 14s laptop.

I write because I want to make a clean install with Microsoft Windows 10 usb media.

Can I safely do this and write down the hp windows 10 home digital license key? Or is the installation linked to the motherboard meaning that I cannot type in the same key manually and activate windows later? I am worried I’ll brick the machine if I proceed and hp recovery media usb is about $60 here in Sweden. Help would be appreciated:)

Regards

jlufanatic

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

A very good idea! 

Check if your windows is activated!

Then update your drivers.

Create a driver folder for the driver backup. (USB-Flashdrive) ex. K:\driver

Run Powershell as Admin and type:

Export-WindowsDriver -Online -Destination "K:\Driver"

It takes about 2 minutes and all your drivers are safe.

It saves you a lot of time !

After the new installation is ready. Don't go into internet and run Powershell as admin again

type

pnputil /add-driver "K:\Driver\*.inf" /subdirs /install /reboot

You are ready!

If you wait for abaout 2 weeks you can download the 21H2 Version of Windows

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

is powershell included in windows 10 Home?

I was more specifically wondering, if I use Microsoft’s usb creation tool, use my own windows 10 pro key and erase the hp 14s’s entire harddrive using the created usb, then will I be able to activate my fresh install with my pro key?

If for some reason my key won’t activate,  due to the fact that I have used it earlier, can I still reformat the ssd, activating windows home, again  with the factory-supplied hp key for windows 10 home?

HP Recommended

If you can`t find the PowerShell (Right Click on Start) you can go to the Microsoft Web Store and download Version 7.1.4

The 21H2 (Build 19044.1237) will be published on the 05.10.2021 including a new Media Creation Tool.
I would go that way and erase the comlete disk. That can be done during the setup. If you have an OEM-Key for the Pro-Edition it is not possible to upgrade.

But before you do anything, check the BIOS if you can activate TPM 2.0. I hope that the Laptop is running in UEFI-Mode. Meanwhile I have seen 2 Laptops where the activation failed! - If not, you have the right to return it to HP.

If that is clear, download the new 21H2 and start the installation.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/all/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-or-reinstall-of...

If you have a Win10 Pro retail key you can try it when the setup is ready (But you have to deactivate that on the old PC and you have to have a MS account) For about 20$ you can buy a new key. It's worth it!

Be aware that you need a reliable backup-software. Here Macrium is my personal favourite.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.