Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp pavilion dv7-4173
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

computer turns on but won't boot up.  caps lock light blinks and wifi light stays on.  the screen is black.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @drachir61

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

This could be hardware problem. Please, read the HP official article here >> https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

and follow the steps to identify the issue based on the pattern of blinking.

Let me know what you find out.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I've just had this - a few hours ago - and solved it.

I turned on the laptop, bit of noise then nothing - blank screen with caps lock flashing.

I did a power reset (remove battery, unplug, press power button for 30 seconds) - no difference.

I checked the connections of the memory and HD - no difference.

I inserted a spare HD - no difference.

By now I suspected a blown motherboard, but then I read something on this forum about booting without the hard drive.  I did this and I got BIOS messages - so the PC is OK.  I turned off the PC, inserted the HD again, and it booted up fine !!!

So booting without a HD seems to reset something.

Hope this helps someone....

HP Recommended

I tried to reboot with the hard drive.  The problem still exist.  Glad your is working again  I need help!!!!

HP Recommended

I meant to say I tried without the hard drive!

HP Recommended

Hi @drachir61

It appears to be hardware problem. Unfortunately, I am unable to guide you what exactly it is without the pattern of blinking. Did you identify the way of blinking (pattern) ? You may also take a video with your camera/smartphone and upload it somewhere and post a URL here to watch it.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.