Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I am in the middle of programming my new Omni 120 PC (AMD-E-450 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics) computer but I want to change the user name (mind you, not add).  How do I do it?  I have yet to install the Virus protection on it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You'll need to be logged in as another user first, one with admin rights. Then you can go to Control Panel, User Accounts, and change the user name of the user in question to something else.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You'll need to be logged in as another user first, one with admin rights. Then you can go to Control Panel, User Accounts, and change the user name of the user in question to something else.

HP Recommended

Thanks Mayhemers!  I'll give it a try but I'd appreciate it if you could further enlighten me as to add usernames on my computer.  Hope to hear from you soon!!!

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

This is a sure way....

Step 1. Go to Microsoft.com and make sure your Profile name is the name you'd like for your PC account name to reflect. If it's not, change and save your Profile Name at Microsoft.com to the name you want to have displayed on your PC. Keep yourself connected to the internet through the rest of this process by minimizing the internet screen while you complete the rest of these steps.

Step 2. On your PC, select "Start"

Step 3. Go to " PC Settings". .then select "Accounts"

Step 4. Then below your current account name select "Disconnect" .

Step 5.  In the "Switch to a local account" screen, type your "Current password".

Step 6. Then in the"Switch to a local account " screen, create a temporary account by filling in the info...then click "Next". This will take you to the last "Switch to a local account " screen.

Step 7. Click. "Sign out and finish"...

Step 8. This briefly restarts your computer. Now enter the temporary password you recently created a few steps back. 

Step 9. Now, as if your starting all over click "Start"

Step 10. Go to " pc settings". .then select "Accounts"

Step 11. Then below your current account name select "Connect to a Microsoft account" .

Step 12. In the "Switch to a Microsoft account on this PC" screen, type your "Current password". This will take you to the" Sign in to your Microsoft account " screen.

Step 13. Enter your Microsoft email and Microsoft email password and click" Next". This will prompt a "Help us protect your info" window, requesting confirmation of who you are. Enter the requested info for Microsoft to send you a confirmation "code". Mine is by text. Then click "Next".

Step 14. Retrieve your code by text or email and enter it in the window provided for it. Then click" Next".

Step 15. In this next screen, make your selection as to whether you want to be connected to the Microsoft cloud and click "Next". This prompts you to your last screen enntitled "Switch to a Microsoft account on this PC" and you'll see you're new name.

Step 16. Click"Switch " and your done. Enjoy your new name.

HP Recommended
But when you do this will it save all your apps our will it set your laptop to defaults to where you lose everything
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.