cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

i was scammed and am locked out of my laptop due to a scam

HP Recommended
Envy laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

i was an idiot and they had access to my laptop.  when i logged back in, there is a password i don't know and a note that PC cound't start properly.  a required device isnt connected or can't be accessed.  error code Oxc0000225.

it says to use recovery tools but my MS 8 recovery disks are not working

and hitting F11 repeatedly did not work

is there anything i can do to restart the laptop and remove any virus ware?

susan

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 206 523
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Not sure when the password is appearing and blocking you.

So I can only guess at possible solutions.

~~~~~~~~~~

Turn the computer over, look for a battery compartment door to determine if your computer has a removable battery or not.

If you see a battery compartment door, your computer has a removable battery. Remove the battery.
If you do not see battery compartment door, your computer does not have a removable battery.

This is valid for most notebooks; Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds to complete the reset.

Re-insert any battery you removed.

ENVY 17 2D/3D and ENVY 15-3000 series:
Press and hold the power and the Beats buttons for 8 to 10 seconds;

Folio 13: Press and hold the power button for 8 to 10 seconds;

ENVY 14 SPECTRE: Press and hold the power and the Mute buttons (on the right side of the palm rest) for 8 to 10 seconds.

EliteBook Folio 1040 G1/G2:
Press and hold the power and the Mute buttons at the same time for 15 seconds or until the computer restarts.

BIOS recovery for most Laptops, as a last resort…

WinKey + B + PWR for 1 second.

OR

WinKey + V + PWR for 1 second.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you can access the BIOS, mine is via the ESC key, and change the BOOT sequence....

BIOS Boot One.png  Something like this, to boot from DVD/USB

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then make a Windows Repair Disk for W10, and I realise this is not easy...

SELECT SECURE/LEGACY BOOT AS REQUIRED, & CHANGE THE BOOT  SEQUENCE ALSO AS NEEDED.

Use it to boot from and try and XCOPY your data off before a clean re-install.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can you please tell us when the Password is requested, as someone else may have a solution.

The BIOS access and Boot order access means there are other things that can be tried.

If in doubt please ask.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thank you for your fast reply. i have an HP Envymodel DV7-7240US. i tried the removal of the battery and restart, and then the win/b/power and win/v/power.  i still get a login screen asking for a start up password immediately on a black screen.   i don;t see any HP start up screen.  then i can get to a recovery screen (photos below). i tried putting in my windows 8 recovery disks (though i think i had windows 10) and they don't even read it

how do i override the password?  hoping someone can help me get out of this jam 

IMG_0115.jpgIMG_0116.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

sorry, i forgot to attach the photo of the black screen i get initially.  

when i hit restart, i get to the blue screen with the recovery info.  and then i only get back to the start up screen.

hope this helps

IMG_0117.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hi, last post . i hit escape and got to a screen where i could change the sign on and administrator passwords.  looking at the windows 10 info you provided--you deemed it "not easy", but it is completely beyond my understanding and capability.  i am going to get professional help to load stuff back on.  thank you for your time and assistance

susan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 206 523
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Understood most of it, but the pictures are not yet displayed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You find another PC.

Buy an 8 Gb USB stick.

Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Create Windows 10 installation media

To get started, you will first need to have a licence to install Windows 10. You can then download and run the media creation tool. For more information on how to use the tool, see the instructions below.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/install-windows-10-from-usb

Insert the USB and make a recovery media.

Boot from it.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation