Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Hp Pavillion DV4-1225dx laptop. I have sent this in for repairs a half a dozen times. My latest issue was the caps lock and numbers lock blinking. It would blink a series of 4 times. I thought it was the motherboard, again.  It meant the graphics controller not functioning. Hp said they no longer service this model. I just knew I was screwed.  Every computer shop I checked cost too much to fix, I might as well by a new laptop. Then, I browsed the web through my HTC evo looking for solutions.  Someone advised me to remove one of the 2GB memory from the memory port. I removed the top memory stick and when I powered it up, it was the same thing. Then I removed the bottom stick and only left the top stick in, and it powered up normally. I couldn't believe this totally fixed my issue. There is still something wrong, but for the time being........ It works perfect. I don't have 4 GB right now because I removed the 2GB stick, but I'm going to buy 1 -4GB stick and put it in the slot that works and it will give it 4GB, just like it supposed to be. I hope this works for everyone, My laptop sat up in my top closet for months.  I'm actually using my DV4-1225dx right now. 

HP Recommended

Hi, first of all my english is bad i from uruguay y have de same problem but my notebook  is a hp pavilion dv4 2145dx the cost to repair mi notebooks as you is to much expensive, i wil try to remove one of the 2gb memory, i hope it will work, well now i have some hope that i could recover my notebooks, thanks

HP Recommended

Hi everyone, this is slightly similar to your posts. My Hp is dv7Pavillion Entertainment pc. When opened the lid from hibernation, it seemed to come on but didnt get to POST. All the lights are on. Now the caps lock light blinks after every 3 seconds. The numlock doesnt blink. Only caps lock. Hp says this error code is for an unresponsive processor. For laptops with Nvidia graphics cards, Hp says the problem is Nvidia manufaturers and not HP. However my card is ATI. Should we say that it is ATI's prblem too? No, i dont think so.

Temporary solution:

I opened up the laptop, bit by bit. I located the ATI graphics card. I bought a cigarette lighter and gently passed a flame over the ATI card for about 30 seconds. I then put reassembled my laptop and it worked fine. This is a temporary solution because the problem recurs after sometime. For me a month later, I had to disassemble the pc again. What is the Hp R and D department doing about it? cant these laptops be recalled? How often shall we roast the graphics cards?

HP Recommended

i been have same issue i did what u did but the problem continue what you thing i can do next.....

HP Recommended
Hi! Where can i find the memory stick?
HP Recommended
@Graimpy,

There should be an access panel on the underside of the notebook. There should be an icon of a stick of RAM on this access panel to indicate what is under it.

If you provide the exact model of the notebook, I may be able to provide more specific instructions on locating and reseating the RAM.
NOTE: Do not provide the serial number.
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended
I did the hard reset for over one minute and it worked!
HP Recommended
My Screen won't turn on, the volume lights turn on so does the wifi and num/caps lock ones do to but my screen won't. I don't have a hard drive or RAM installer in it if I Install a RAM would it help my screen? Please help me.
HP Recommended
So installing a new RAM helped your computer work?
HP Recommended

@Danny805,

I take it you have tried the hard reset listed already and it did not work.

What is the pattern of the blinking of the caps/num lock keys?  They should blink and then pause anywhere from 1-4 seconds to separate the pattern. 

For some in this thread, it turned out to be a RAM issue (either the stick of RAM or the slot itself, unclear which it was at this point).  Have you tried booting with one stick of RAM installed at a time?  If booting with one stick of RAM at at time does not work, you could try booting with one stick of RAM in the slot it was not in previously.  For example, move the first stick of RAM to the second slot and vice versa. 

Also, what is the exact model of the notebook?

NOTE: Do NOT provide the serial number. 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.