spydermike Tutor
Tutor
14 0 0
Message 1 of 20
Flag Post

need recovery media win 10

HP Pavilion 15-inch Displays
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased an HP 15-f272wm laptop in Dec 2016 and I need to reinstall Windows 10. I thought I made backup disks but I cannot find them. How do I get them? Thanks, Mike

19 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
96851 13111 20329
Message 2 of 20
Flag Post

Hi:

You can order recovery media for your notebook from HP at the link below...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/HP-15-f200-Notebook-PC-series/7527799/model/8888505/software...

You can clean install W10 for free at any time by using the W10 Media Creation Tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The utility will allow you to make either a bootable W10 USB flash drive or download an ISO file, which you can burn to a DVD using your DVD burning program's burn ISO file option.

The software will automatically work with the W10 OEM product key in your PC's BIOS.

W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Then go to your specific model notebook's support page to install the drivers and available software.

0 Kudos
spydermike Tutor
Tutor
14 0 0
Message 3 of 20
Flag Post

I tried to download the usb install and when I ran it it seemed to be working but it has been checking my laptop for hours and never advanced, it is still doing that.

When I tried to order it they want to charge me $0 plus shipping, it that normal? Thanks, Mike

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
96851 13111 20329
Message 4 of 20
Flag Post

Hi, Mike:

Since I don't work for or represent HP, I couldn't say why the recovery media order link shows that.

It is my understanding that there is a charge.

On the W10 flash drive you made, skip the check for updates, and just let it install.

That happened to me also when I installed W10 by making the installation DVD.

I figured it made sense to let it check for updates...then it just hung there.

So, I shut down the PC, rebooted, and skipped the check for updates the next time, and W10 installed in no time.

0 Kudos
spydermike Tutor
Tutor
14 0 0
Message 5 of 20
Flag Post

What is the correct way to use the flash drive. I tried opening it up and running it and it says setup has failed to validate product key .  I tried booting from it and that does not work. This all started because it was running slow so cloned the old hd to a Samsung EVO 850 ssd hd and installed it. The the wireless did not work and all kinds of problems poped up. I took it to the IT guy at the high school and he says windows is all screwed up. I've cloned and installed hd's before with now problem

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
96851 13111 20329
Message 6 of 20
Flag Post

You would have to boot from the flash drive, you can't run from the file inside it.

I see from the product specs page that your notebook has a DVD burner.

This is what I would do...

Use the media creation tool and download the W10 ISO file.

Download and install this free DVD burning software.

https://download.cdburnerxp.se/minimal/07df3e0c74fd0c35a79324a00fff41c3/5a4e65dc/cdbxp_setup_4.5.8.6...

After you have downloaded the ISO file and the above DVD burning program, open the DVD burning program and you will see 6 options to choose from.

Choose the Burn ISO Image option, browse to where you saved the ISO file and burn it at the slowest possible speed you can, so that you get a good burn.

After CD Burner XP creates the bootable W10 installation DVD, get into your notebook's BIOS and disable secure boot.

See this guide for the BIOS settings to change...

https://www.support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03736054/

Boot from the W10 DVD drive and see if you can install W10 that way.

0 Kudos
spydermike Tutor
Tutor
14 0 0
Message 7 of 20
Flag Post

Somehow I managed to get it running better but I still have problems connecting to my ATT Uverse internet. I can connect wirelessly to my Verizon Ellipsis jetpac but not the ATT. I have heard that the Realtec 8188ee lan has problems and sometimes it need the settings changed. Sometimes it sees myATT 2wire754 but won't connect and other times it does not even see it. I have taken it to my Fire Dept and it loggs on there with the public wireless fine also.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
96851 13111 20329
Message 8 of 20
Flag Post

HI;

See if installing the latest wifi Realtek wifi driver helps.

2023.66.1104.2017 Rev.A

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp82501-83000/sp82801.exe

0 Kudos
spydermike Tutor
Tutor
14 0 0
Message 9 of 20
Flag Post

TRYIN THAT RIGHT NOW--IT WENT AS FAR AS THE BLACK SCREEN SAYING PLEASE WAIT FOR INSTALLING FOR 10 MINUTES NOW AND JUST SITTIN THERE--WAITING

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
96851 13111 20329
Message 10 of 20
Flag Post

It should have installed in less than a minute.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation