Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Years back I bought a new HP laptop and loved it. It had Windows 7 operating system on it. Last year the video card went bad, I went to a local pawn shop and they had an HP Pavilion laptop that was extremely similar. The only thing visibly wrong with it was that it didn't have a power cord. I figured that for $20.00 it was worth a shot. I bought replacement and was able to power up. After it powered up I found out why it was there. Some of the keyboard does not work. So now I need to use the onscreen keyboard. Last week I finally had enough, I found a laptop at Walmart that has the same hardware, the only thing different is the operating system. The new laptop has Windows 10. What I tried to do is to replace the new hard drive with the old one. The new laptop wouldn't let me. I don't like Windows 10, is there a way to get the old hard drive to work in the new laptop? 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Drewiz 

What you really want is for the old OS to work in the new laptop -- and sorry, NO.  With OEM laptops, the Windows license is tied to the PC, not to the owner.  So, it is not legal to transfer the Win7 OS from the old laptop to the new one.

Plus, even if you did do that, most likely it would not work because Win7 would not have drivers for the new hardware in the Win10 laptop.

Sorry, but it's a bad idea to buy a new laptop and expect to run Win7 on it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.